Can't get my basking area hot enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

laxitup

So i'm getting my first bearded dragon soon and already have its 40 gallon tank set up, with its temperature ranging from the mid 80's on the warm side to the mid 70's on the cool side. The problem is that i am unable to get the basking area to above 100*F, its just stuck at 95*F. I'm using an R-Zilla 150w day white light bulb and the basking area is about 10" away from it. My room is also around 65-70*F. What can i do to raise the temperature, i don't want to raise the basking area anymore since it seems unstable.

z71

What are you using to measure temperature? You want to measure the temp directly under the light, ideally with a digital probe thermometer or a laser thermometer.

Odds are your temps are good. I use a 40 breeder and only need a 100 watt bulb to get to 110 degrees.

Let us know what you are using to measure temps and we'll go from there.

bhudnall

I was having the same issue yesterday. I talked to the breeder where I got my beardie (last weekend), and he gave me a few tips. Like puting tin foil around the hood of the lights to reflect more heat/light. Also he mentioned some people cover half of the screen to trap more air in and raise the temp/humidity. I don't know if the second is a good idea, but the tin foil worked for me. My basking area is stable around 102 and the cool side is about 85. Also, I went over to radioshack yesterday, and they had an infared temperature gauge for around 20$. I think its a lot more accurate than the crappy ones I got at petco, and when I was tying to stabalize the temps it gave me the quick responses I wanted. Just a thought. Good luck.

laxitup

Original Poster
The thermometer i have is a digital one with a probe that i got from a petstore for around 10 bucks. The tin foil trick sounds like something i could try. thank youu

z71

You could also try a different bulb. You might get more intensity out of a "spot" bulb. I use a 100 watt Zoo Med Halogen bulb and it's almost too hot for my enclosure. I have to monitor it very closely. Halogens are brighter and hotter. You can get a halogen spot light from Home Depot for less money than the ones from the pet store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom