Cant get basking area hot enough :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyxi

My one juvenile beardie is in a 20 gallon long tank, I have a digital thermometer with a probe at the basking spot, and I have a digital reptile thermometer that sticks onto the glass and that is right beside her basking spot, about 1-2" from where she sits. I placed her basking lamp right above where she basks, with a 75 watt house bulb, but it only got up to about 80-90 degrees (those newer energy saver bulbs dont heat up enough) so I tried another spare bulb I had, a 150 watt intense basking bulb for reptiles, and after about 5 minutes I smelled a burning smell coming from the screen lid, it was actually so hot you could smell the hot screen, so I went out and bought a 100 watt dayglo reptile basking bulb, and set it on top the the screen lid only 3-4" above the dragons basking area, now I checked both thermometers, the probe one says it is only 86 degrees at the hottest spot, and the digital stick-on one says it is 93 degrees, both of which are not hot enough! So frustrating.. suggestions please?

Picture001-3.jpg

Picture006-3.jpg

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Halogen flood lights give off the best heat I have found. I would get one of those, even a 90 watt one, and then get a dimmer. That's what I have for my dragons bulbs, that way you can control the heat so much better especially on hot days, and then turn it up when it gets colder out. (not sure where you live)....

Flood light:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Edison-Halogen-Xtra-Life-Flood-Light/16911649

Dimmer:

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Home-Automation-Security-Home-Automation-Dimmers-Lighting-Controls/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbmirZ12kx/R-202051141/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom