Can you use the coil style UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't use the coil style uvb. It's the only uvb light my pet store has, I am ordering either a power sun or t-rex online today but I think Saph needs uvb before it gets here. Would it be dangerous to wait for the bulb to get here or should I just go get the one at the pet store? Kinda confused. The lady at the pet store did not have Saph (he's about 5-6in long, 8 weeks old) under a uvb light. So I am pretty sure he's in dire need of it now, will waiting for it to come UPS hurt? My only option for UVB right now is the coil style 26 watt, my pet store doesn't carry any others, and I don't live in city....very rural area. HELP!

railroadwife....the railroad may own his soul, but I still have his heart.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Hi there!

I would wait. And get the T-Rex, it's a much better bulb.

Honestly, I can't believe the coil/compacts are allowed on the market. Some have been discovered to have dangerous UV wavelengths (UVC), others have resulted in eye problems and virtually all have been found to have inconsistent UVB output.

You could also order a megaray (another fantastic Mercury Vapor bulb, arguably the best); Bob tends to be very flexible and quick about shipping- particularly when he understands the need.

Just to check... What size tank do you have your beardie in?
If you are feeding in tank, little beardies do better in a 20L, which is too small to support a mercury vapor bulb. You need a minimum of a 40g breeder to use a MVB safely. The put out a lot of heat and a lot of UVB.
If you don't have a large enough tank, order a reptisun 10.0 tube (they're $20) and you can pick up a fixture at Home Depot or Lowe's for a reasonable price. You can use that for 6 months and at that point you'll be wanting a larger enclosure anyway.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
if ur hurting, take ur beardy outside and let him bask in the sun everyday, larger dose of uvb than you wud get with a bulb

railroadwife

Original Poster
okay, now I'm really mad at myself. In desperation I went to the other local petstore, in another nearby town. I specifically asked her if she had a uvb emitting bulb. She said she did, they weren't reptisun, they were zilla brand but she had them. I called again before making the trip and told her to go check the bulb and see if it said it put out uvb...she said no need she knew that it did and said, It's "full spectrum" just like the sun, it has all the uv rays the sun puts out, it's what I have on my beardie now." I should've known...another pet store owner who knows nothing!!! I checked the zilla website and found that the bulb she sold me, knowing that I wanted a uvb emitting bulb, in fact is not a uvb emitting bulb. ARG!! What is with these people!! I could not have been more specific. I am taking it back and demanding my money back. She sold me something she knew I did not want. The stupid thing cost me almost $20. My question...are the flourescent styles the only type that emit UVB besides the MVBs or can you get one that screws in to the dome style fixture? I am so afraid I'm going to kill this poor thing!! Oh yeah, he's in a 20 gallon long, it's supposed to be the reptile enclosure type. He's staying warm now at least, still no uvb.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Ok. Here's the deal
MVBs are the only GOOD UVB source that screws into dome lids. If you want a long fixture, Home Depot or Lowe's should have them relatively cheaply.

Coil/ Compact UVB emitting bulbs:
a. inconsistent, you can't rely on the bulb to put out UVB for any length of time
b. some put out UVC which is what causes cancer & radiation poisoning
c. have been implicated in eye problems with beardies

Flourescent Tube:
a. not all are created equal- really, you want the reptisun 10.0
b. depending on brand & strength, some are suspected to put out damaging UVC wavelengths
c. will put out good amounts of UVB for 6 months if it is a respected bulb

Mercury Vapor Bulbs:
a. not all are created equal- you want a T-Rex or a Megaray
b. last a year with quality UVB output
c. a 100w bulb needs to be a MINIMUM of 12 inches from your beardie
d. emit heat as well as UVB

If you want to get more anal about UVB stuff; check out http://www.uvguide.co.uk One of my favorite sites, cause I'm a dork like that!

railroadwife

Original Poster
Ha! HA! I am soooooo anal too. Before getting Saph, I read EVERYTHING on bearded dragons. My husband says I read too much! I've just had trouble figuring out the whole full spectrum/UVB/Mercury Vapor/Heat lighting thing. BTW the full spectrum bulb won't hurt him will it? It's doing a pretty good job of keeping it warm. I'd still like to get it a little warmer. Oh and I also just ordered the reptisun10.0 last night from petmountain.com. I'll get the fixture from Wal-mart. When we upgrade his enclosure we're getting one that's granite and glass recommended by Georgia Bearded Dragons. Then I will get the T-rex or Megaray. Thanks for the help. I think I'm finally getting it...sometimes a little thick headed..

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Nah. The full spectrums are generally just basking bulbs that only produce heat & UVA (just fine!).
I use household light bulbs for heat or halogen bulbs if I need something a bit hotter. Either is considerably cheaper than a reptile basking bulb and work just as well. They do put off a more yellowy light than reptile basking bulbs which tend to be very white light. There hasn't been any documentation of a difference for your beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom