Can you help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very confused. I am new to this site and previously have been relying on books., supplemented by the advice at the pet store.

Our bearded dragon is 6-7 months old, about 9 inches long, seems healthy. We feed it about 10 large crickets a day, one live food feeding in am, mealworms about every 3 days. We dust the crickets. Veggies every day-romaine, kale, occasional green beans, broccoli and carrots. We usually give veggies in the afternoon. He likes them.

Now it looks after reading the care sheets we are way underfeeding it cricket-wise. Are we? He seems to eat just about all he wants at feedings. Maybe we could add a feeding though. Sounds like we need to stop mealworms?

His tummy is really big especially after he eats.

We have the temps right and the lights (I think). Hot 95-100 degrees, and cold side, heat lamp and UV lamp.

Please dont scold me. I know we can improve, that is why I am posting. Can you give me some suggestions on how much to feed. Thanks so much.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
If your bd is only 6-7 month and 9 in - large crickets are tooo big! the size of the crickets should be smaller than the size between their eyes. At pet stores they usually sell them in two sizes: small and large.. go for small. If you're buying online probably around 1/2 or 3/4 in. The reason is, the large crickets can cause impaction. Has your little bd been making regular bm's? They should be fed 2-3 times a day as much as they will eat in 10-15 minutes.

As far as the veggies, I provide mine throughout the day in a dish in the tank. The following is a GREAT link of all the nutrional info on veggies: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

The following information is also vital:

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have your dragon on?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, what kind and how old?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What do you take the temps with?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed?
Do you gutload your feeders?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Mastersmom

Original Poster
actually, maybe these are medium crickets because they do meet that requirement (about the eyes).

not sure of exact age, we have had for 6 months, he was pretty small when we got him. he is about 9 inches long, he is in a 40 (or 44?) gallon tank, he is on reptile carpet, we have the tube uvb lights, 6 months old, he can get about 8 inches away from them, the basking temp is 95-100, the cool is around 80. We take temps with stick on thermometers, we do not have a heat rock or pad, we feed as listed above in post, we dust the crickets, we do not use supplements, he has regular bowel movements, we mist him every other day, we do not have another dragon, we have not had a fecal.

thank you, I am sure someone has some advice for changes. Thank you!

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
what is the brand of the uvb light and how often do you change it?
Do you mean the liquid crystal themometer ones that stick onto the enclosure? If so, they often aren't accurate, I would invest in a digital themometer with a wire probe. And set it ON the basking spot to get the correct temp. usually takes about 45 minutes to get the accurate reading.

Sounds like your beardie is happy!

Mastersmom

Original Poster
thank you Erin!

I will get a new thermometer. I also looked again and I think I have the wrong light. It is a coiled one, not a stick. So I need to change that, right?

I think he is mad or stressed today. He freaked yesterday, we had to remove all of the calcium sand we had just put in his cage. He totally went nuts, licking it and then biting his basking rock over and over.

So after posting about the sand, we got it all out, vacuumed, etc...all FORTY POUNDS of it which involved him being out of his cage more than ever before, in and out several times by the time we got the sand in....and then out.

It was really fun doing all that.

He looked extremely pissed at me when I gave him crickets this am and ignored them. He wouldn't stop staring at me "don't pick me up".

The crickets are gone now or under the carpet, so I need to check again, but he does not look relaxed today . :cry:

When I took the sand back today for a refund (yes, the bag said take back if you are not satisfied for any reason!) I rebagged the sand and the clerk tried to convince me it is fine if they eat the sand. They are "supposed" to eat it. HA.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I was just thinking.. I'm upgrading to an MVB lighting system. If you want, I can ship you my fluroescent fixture. it's 18". You'd need a new bulb though. I won't charge you for any of it, just meet me part way with shipping, which shouldn't be too much either. If that's something that you're interested in, let me know. I don't konw what size enclosure you have or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom