Can you all tell me if this would be a good idea?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So, I have a candle dish that I use for his food. I'm beginning to think that he needs an elevated dish to hold onto while eating. He uses my fingers to eat from when I hand feed him. Do you think one of those reptile water bowls will work?
Such as this one below? I have tried to perch him on a rice sock to see if he will eat on his own off his candle dish. He looks at his salad, then tosses it when he decides to crawl over it.

https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti...ZG9_HjHvY98dZQH5jplvdTLnuVTse-UxoC2-QQAvD_BwE

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
So, I have a candle dish that I use for his food. I'm beginning to think that he needs an elevated dish to hold onto while eating. He uses my fingers to eat from when I hand feed him. Do you think one of those reptile water bowls will work?
Such as this one below? I have tried to perch him on a rice sock to see if he will eat on his own off his candle dish. He looks at his salad, then tosses it when he decides to crawl over it.

https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti-rock-corner-reptile/dp/257660?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Zoo Med&utm_campaign=18806583589&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEnCBM0Mjfnoq1YnqRZHqp_ZG9_HjHvY98dZQH5jplvdTLnuVTse-UxoC2-QQAvD_BwE
You could use that water dish however since its main purpose is to store water it should be big enough for a bearded dragon to soak itself in. So if you wanted to get this one I would recommend getting the smallest size. A benefit of this water bowl is, since it is sturdy your bearded dragon shouldn't be able to tip it. If you have loose substrate then the sides should keep most of it out.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
You could use that water dish however since its main purpose is to store water it should be big enough for a bearded dragon to soak itself in. So if you wanted to get this one I would recommend getting the smallest size. A benefit of this water bowl is, since it is sturdy your bearded dragon shouldn't be able to tip it. If you have loose substrate then the sides should keep most of it out.
No loose substrate. I have considered some loose substrate since he no longer poops in his tank. He'd rather poo in the tub which is good. He has some mobility issues and arthritis. I wanted to see if upgrading his tank husbandry would improve.
As for his tank, it's a 45-55 gallon critter tank. I wish he had a bigger tank. But, he has a hammock- that got knocked down today.
A basking box- that may be a bit small. But it's adequate for him. I topped it with a soft hand towel- he doesn't get stuck on it and a small pillow he's rarely ever used and will lay on it.
He has two different thermometers, humidifier checker, and a rice sock.

Paper towels are his substrate. I have heard that 50/50 (Topsoil and Play sand is a good combination) I would need to also buy a desk to support the tank better. I have the tank on tray tables.

The bowl I have been thinking about for a long time. I'll look for a small size.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
No loose substrate. I have considered some loose substrate since he no longer poops in his tank. He'd rather poo in the tub which is good. He has some mobility issues and arthritis. I wanted to see if upgrading his tank husbandry would improve.
As for his tank, it's a 45-55 gallon critter tank. I wish he had a bigger tank. But, he has a hammock- that got knocked down today.
A basking box- that may be a bit small. But it's adequate for him. I topped it with a soft hand towel- he doesn't get stuck on it and a small pillow he's rarely ever used and will lay on it.
He has two different thermometers, humidifier checker, and a rice sock.

Paper towels are his substrate. I have heard that 50/50 (Topsoil and Play sand is a good combination) I would need to also buy a desk to support the tank better. I have the tank on tray tables.

The bowl I have been thinking about for a long time. I'll look for a small size.
As he becomes an adult if you want you can get him a bigger enclosure between 55 and 120 gallons. If you want to you could get hooks and drill them into the enclosure so you can put the hammock on it (this may not work for a glass enclosure). If you don't have a cave for him I would suggest one as beardies love basking in them. Just be aware that loose substrate can get into their food and water and that he may accidentally consume some. I put my beardies enclosure on a storage table type so it has draws underneath. Here is a website about some good products for bearded dragons: The 10 Best Bearded Dragon Supplies of 2023

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As he becomes an adult if you want you can get him a bigger enclosure between 55 and 120 gallons. If you want to you could get hooks and drill them into the enclosure so you can put the hammock on it (this may not work for a glass enclosure). If you don't have a cave for him I would suggest one as beardies love basking in them. Just be aware that loose substrate can get into their food and water and that he may accidentally consume some. I put my beardies enclosure on a storage table type so it has draws underneath. Here is a website about some good products for bearded dragons: The 10 Best Bearded Dragon Supplies of 2023
I think their dragon is an adult , is that true Noella5088 ? I would stay away from hammocks for an arthritic dragon or one that has mobility issues. Gently sloping , easy to grip driftwood might be a good choice though since most beardies like to climb a little and this would help to strengthen the legs.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think their dragon is an adult , is that true Noella5088 ? I would stay away from hammocks for an arthritic dragon or one that has mobility issues. Gently sloping , easy to grip driftwood might be a good choice though since most beardies like to climb a little and this would help to strengthen the legs.
He's a nine year old bearded dragon adult. I'll look into some easy driftwood. He tried to climb up his basking box today but couldn't grip. So, I'll be looking around for some other surfaces that he can use to climb. Box may be too tall for him and he needs help. He's regaining all his strength in his front legs and I want him to be stronger.
He's an adult. Enclosure's all glass.
I've been thinking of a cave and stuffing some cloths in there to cushion him when he goes to bed. I also have a saucer chair but he does not climb on it to reach his basking spot.

I'm looking at this from Zen Habitats.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wait, does that actually cost $90 ? I wouldn't pay $30 for it let alone the full price. They say that in the wild reptiles love to bask on rocks. That's true and that's why I gather my own from outside, wash them with hot soapy water, rinse very well with hot water and use them in my tanks. The first one is my flat rock lizard but you can get some like this for your beardie.

You can create nice natural looking caves with rocks like this. Sorry the pic is so small, hopefully you can enlarge it to view. I'll post some other ones. Here are some more.

Last edited:

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wait, does that actually cost $90 ? I wouldn't pay $30 for it let alone the full price. They say that in the wild reptiles love to bask on rocks. That's true and that's why I gather my own from outside, wash them with hot soapy water, rinse very well with hot water and use them in my tanks. The first one is my flat rock lizard but you can get some like this for your beardie.

You can create nice natural looking caves with rocks like this. Sorry the pic is so small, hopefully you can enlarge it to view. I'll post some other ones. Here are some more.

I was surprised myself. I'll take a look outside for some rocks. I know there are lot of rocks outside that I may be able to use. I also saw something from Amazon for 15.00. It's resin. Seen in countless of other bearded dragon tanks. But, I don't know anything about using resin.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
He's a nine year old bearded dragon adult. I'll look into some easy driftwood. He tried to climb up his basking box today but couldn't grip. So, I'll be looking around for some other surfaces that he can use to climb. Box may be too tall for him and he needs help. He's regaining all his strength in his front legs and I want him to be stronger.

He's an adult. Enclosure's all glass.
I've been thinking of a cave and stuffing some cloths in there to cushion him when he goes to bed. I also have a saucer chair but he does not climb on it to reach his basking spot.

I'm looking at this from Zen Habitats.
Since his legs aren’t that strong that may be to steep for him to get up. Maybe this cave will do as it doesn’t look very steep however it is expensive: https://www.amazon.com.au/Penn-Plax...ocphy=9071355&hvtargid=pla-894262625932&psc=1

Last edited:

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Since his legs aren’t that strong that may be to steep for him to get up. Maybe this cave will do as it doesn’t look very steep however it is expensive: https://www.amazon.com.au/Penn-Plax...ocphy=9071355&hvtargid=pla-894262625932&psc=1
It's temporarily out of stock.
But I did find something in the back yard. I'll post photos as soon as the boiling water is done sanitizing it thoroughly. I also scrubbed with hot water and soap too. Boiling water was the last sterilizing. Two rocks. The top is smooth. Bottom rough. But will sit on a glass tank with the help of another rock underneath it.
I'll take some photos a little later.

Well, the rocks dried. And they smell of mildew. So I won't be using them.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra

That also has the benefit of taking care of their claws for you to.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes it does. I noticed that. He's slowly regaining his strength in his front legs. Climbing over to my shoulders to reach the top of my recliner. I massaged his legs, back, and he's feeling so much better since.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom