Can *Thyme* oil be used as a disinfectant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
I found a *wipe* that states it is safe for all pets, people, food prep areas etc. Its active ingredient is 'Thymol' *Thyme Oil*.

Ok, are they taking into consideration reptiles? LOL
States no rinsing required etc.

Also, is the thyme herb ok for them to eat in moderation?
While on the subject I thought I would ask about herbs that are not listed on the Beautiful dragon site, such as;
basil, rosemary (leaves, not the stick), dill etc.
I would love to have a list of safe herbs to sprinkle on his salad once he starts eating them :mrgreen: Or maybe it will encourage differently than the usual!

He did eat some collard today on his own and if he does it again tomorrow and again after that I would love to throw some extra interest in there other than the usual :lol:

Thanks!
Sherri

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The beautiful dragons site states that Thyme is a safe herb for beardies to eat, so I assume the disinfectant would be safe. What all is in the disinfectant?
Also, why is a disinfectant made out of Thyme, what was the reasoning behind it? Just curious because I don't really understand how the thyme oil disinfects.

-Brandon

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have to research it :roll: I don't know. I mean, it says so on the cannister so it must be true, yes? :mrgreen:

I did read that Thyme oil has strong properties as an antiseptic and the active ingredient is called; Thymol, present as a component of Thyme Oil.

One thing that caught my attention is that salmonella is one of the bacteria that is killed. States it kills 99.9% of household germs. Granted, our beardies need protection from bacteria that we will not, but for sanitizing safely and cheaply I would like to know if this is worth using.

I know I have read your posts on Quats and I would like to know what you recommend I purchase? I would like to use a Quat based cleaner but in fairly small quantities, what did you say to use? Sorry I should do a search, but I seem to remember wanting to ask you that question :roll:

Thanks!
Sherri

MissT

BD.org Addict
I know! I know!
Quats= quarternary ammonium cleaners!!! Go me! Now to figure out what those are!!!

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Shoot, I am so sorry, it has been talked about here a bit and I messed up. I think one of the threads was from BadCon, not you Brandon...gads, I must be tired.

It is; Quaternary Ammonium cleaners (quats). Here is a link to one of the posts about it...
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=150151&p=1200772&hilit=quats#p1200772

There are others, but this one had more info. I use Simple Green, regular stuff for my kitchen counters when I don't feel like smelling vinegar or when I am not feeling as frugal as I should be :mrgreen:

Sorry about that! LOL I think I will go to bed now, I am confusing things :roll:

I really do like the smell of the Thyme oil wipes. It is strong and lingers a bit in the viv, but totally eliminates the poop smell lol.
It is from Scotch-Brite. Botanical disinfecting wipes in *breeze* scent (the one I am using now) and a lemon grass.

If thyme is ok for beardies I will use them and maybe even sprinkle a few threads of it on some greens some day :D
Sherri

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah Thyme is safe for them, but im still confused about the quats things. I guess I should check out the link lol.

-Brandon

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MissT":3c0ht7or said:
I know! I know!
Quats= quarternary ammonium cleaners!!! Go me! Now to figure out what those are!!!

OK! Here it is LOL

How do quaternary disinfectants actually work?
Quat-based disinfectants carry a positive charge. Bacteria, viruses and fungi carry a negative charge. When a bacteria-laden surface is sprayed or mopped with a disinfectant, the charge distribution of the bacteria cell changes from negative to positive. This results in the disruption of the bacteria cell wall and eventual death to the microbe.

Now we know lol. I read this on one of the posts before, but found this on a site tonight. I would like to know what carries the charge, exactly, however lol. Maybe I will find out the chemical make-up (periodic table of elements type of info) tomorrow.

(here's to eating of the greens tomorrow for us! OH, today for you...tomorrow for me :D)
Sherri

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nope still confused but don't try to explain to me because I probably won't understand lol. I'm tired too.

-Brandon

Gail

BD.org Addict
I've fed basil, dill and mint before in small quantities. some dragons like them, some don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom