Can they eat old salad?

Beardie name(s)
Smaug
My beardy is not keen on eating salad at all, but the rare occasion that she has a few pieces of it, she will usually eat it later in the day, that means that it’s been sitting there all day and started to wither a little and look old. Is this ok for them to eat? She eats it when it’s like that and she dosnt seem to have an issue with it? I just don’t know if it will affect her or effect the salad so it dosn’t give her the vitamins that she needs?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardy is not keen on eating salad at all, but the rare occasion that she has a few pieces of it, she will usually eat it later in the day, that means that it’s been sitting there all day and started to wither a little and look old. Is this ok for them to eat? She eats it when it’s like that and she dosnt seem to have an issue with it? I just don’t know if it will affect her or effect the salad so it dosn’t give her the vitamins that she needs?
Some dragons like crunchy old salad I think shes still getting the nutrients but not the hydration that she does need so w/ that being said please drop water on her nose and see if she will lick it off - or in a bath if she drinks from the bath- I would have her do the dropping on the nose at least once a week - they dont drink a lot of water but some do - I have 2 of them and one doesnt drink that much but the other one will drink water once a week - watch her poops / urate - if the urate is dry and chalky looking shed dehydrated - you want dark formed poop moist and urate white formed and moist

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My dragons are more likely to eat the salad the next morning before it gets changed than the fresh salad. (Except Snicker Doodles, she actually will eat hers most days, especially if i hand feed it). As long as it isn't moldy i think it's ok.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
It doesn't hurt for your beardie to eat its old salad however it has fewer nutrients in it because of how long it is in the heat. Just to let you know your bearded dragons UVB light should turn on at 7am and off at 7pm because it is Autumn and this is the most natural schedule for them. Since she is not eating check that: she is happy in her home, the UV is right, temperatures are right, humidity is right and they aren’t shedding. If all of this ok, it could be that she has an infection or has been overloaded with parasites. Since you said she looks old she is most likely to be dehydrated as wrinkled skin shows that. This will help your bearded dragon as it is dehydrated and not eating enough. Method:
Stir reptile electrolytes or Pedialyte into a tablespoon of strained baby food (chicken or beef flavour). It should be as thick as pudding. Use an eye dropper or oral syringe to put a bit onto your her lips, being careful not to get it in their nostrils. Hopefully he will lick it and repeat it if necessary. Maybe you can try using different vegetables or greens or herbs to interest your bearded dragon more.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
My dragons are more likely to eat the salad the next morning before it gets changed than the fresh salad. (Except Snicker Doodles, she actually will eat hers most days, especially if i hand feed it). As long as it isn't moldy i think it's ok.
I usually throw away the salad or give it to the dubias.
How do you control beardies food before bed? Do your beardies try to eat before bed?

Smaugthebeardy!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
It doesn't hurt for your beardie to eat its old salad however it has fewer nutrients in it because of how long it is in the heat. Just to let you know your bearded dragons UVB light should turn on at 7am and off at 7pm because it is Autumn and this is the most natural schedule for them. Since she is not eating check that: she is happy in her home, the UV is right, temperatures are right, humidity is right and they aren’t shedding. If all of this ok, it could be that she has an infection or has been overloaded with parasites. Since you said she looks old she is most likely to be dehydrated as wrinkled skin shows that. This will help your bearded dragon as it is dehydrated and not eating enough. Method:
Stir reptile electrolytes or Pedialyte into a tablespoon of strained baby food (chicken or beef flavour). It should be as thick as pudding. Use an eye dropper or oral syringe to put a bit onto your her lips, being careful not to get it in their nostrils. Hopefully he will lick it and repeat it if necessary. Maybe you can try using different vegetables or greens or herbs to interest your bearded dragon more.

The uvb is right, temps are right and she is very happy, I know she has not got any parasites or any thing because I have got her checked by one of the best reptile vets in my state who said that she is a very healthy and happy lizard. She is eating her bugs, but is on a diet because she got a little chunky haha, I give her water out of a syringe one or twice a week, and I was saying that the salad looked old when she ate it not that she looked old, sorry for the confusion haha.

Thanks for the help.

Smaugthebeardy!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Some dragons like crunchy old salad I think shes still getting the nutrients but not the hydration that she does need so w/ that being said please drop water on her nose and see if she will lick it off - or in a bath if she drinks from the bath- I would have her do the dropping on the nose at least once a week - they dont drink a lot of water but some do - I have 2 of them and one doesnt drink that much but the other one will drink water once a week - watch her poops / urate - if the urate is dry and chalky looking shed dehydrated - you want dark formed poop moist and urate white formed and moist
Thank you, I give her water out of a syringe one or twice a week because she also won’t drink out of a bath.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yes I know that.
Therefore, I had a question to @xp29.
How he leaves the salad until the morning and doesn't let him eat it.
He wrote:
It's usually the next morning before they eat it. They never touch the salad late in the day, all 5 are out from 5:30 -6 till after their light are out. They don't really get a chance to munch it just before bedtime.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
It's usually the next morning before they eat it. They never touch the salad late in the day, all 5 are out from 5:30 -6 till after their light are out. They don't really get a chance to munch it just before bedtime.
I understood you. It's lucky they don't eat before bed!
Foxy tried to eat a piece of decor before going to bed :ROFLMAO:
So I'd better put his salad away.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Lmao it's funny that it's so hard to get them to eat real food, but they'll try to eat everything else 😜🤪

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
The uvb is right, temps are right and she is very happy, I know she has not got any parasites or any thing because I have got her checked by one of the best reptile vets in my state who said that she is a very healthy and happy lizard. She is eating her bugs, but is on a diet because she got a little chunky haha, I give her water out of a syringe one or twice a week, and I was saying that the salad looked old when she ate it not that she looked old, sorry for the confusion haha.

Thanks for the help.
Good to hear 🙂

tropicalsoul

Beardie name(s)
Dusty
Mist the salad when it starts withering. My dragon likes her protein for breakfast and lunch (she's still a baby) but only nibbles her salad until later in the day. I mist it at least twice to keep it moist and make sure she's getting hydrated.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom