Can someone help me figure this out please?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here, but I have come across an issue with my baby/juv Bearded Dragon. I have researched and I'm guessing this is just a bad shed, but I want a second opinion before deciding to go to a vet.

I have a BD which is somewhere between 1-2 months old (guessing, since I dont know how old it was when I got it), I have had her/him for a month, and he/she is currently in its second shed since I've had it. The first shed was unsuccessfully removed on her back, and now that she is shedding yet again, she has to shed BOTH sheds (last and current). Her tail, legs, feet, and head shed absolutely fine. I have been soaking her 2-3x/week for anywhere from 10-30 min. per soak. She seems to have one particular part that is shedding quite weird (I've never seen this before...), she seems to be shedding too deep and making a very rare and sensitive spot on her side. I am going to post links to photoshop to the pictures I have taken (with my cell phone, sorry about quality) of her back. I hope you can see what I mean by her shedding oddly. Also, I am posting a link to a photo of her pre-shed, so you can see her original pattern. I'm crossing my fingers that this is nothing serious!!!

0313000914b.jpg

0408001850.jpg

0408001851.jpg

0408001851a.jpg

downsized_0408001851b.jpg

**The first picture was taken the 2nd day I had him/her... it is just to show the original pattern, and the difference**

Thank you!!!

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and can't see the pictures you've posted, but I'll try to look tonight to see if I can help. One thing I noticed is that you said you bathe her 2-3x a week. When my beardie is in shed I try to bathe him daily. The more you bath her the easier the shed will be. The older they get the more difficult it is for them as well, but since you said yours is only 1-2 months old that shouldn't really be an issue.

Hopefully someone else will be able to view your photos and chime in with some advice. Good luck.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Im not able to hit the pictures either.
When you click on the pic in photo bucket got to the 4th line down and copy and paste that. its the image code.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Any chance the little guy got to close to his heat light?
the pics dont really show much but i see what your talking about.

GizmoBeardie

Original Poster
No way for him/her to get close enough to the light. The light sits on top of a mesh screen for the 20L. The light sits about 6-7" from the basking spot. :(

GizmoBeardie

Original Poster
Yeah, it's hard to tell with the pics. If you see it in person it's a little easier to see... it does look "burnish" (lol) but idk...

It looks like as if you went to get a tattoo, and the artist went too deep with the needle and it scabs over. Not to say this looks like a scab, but it is kind of similar...
Odd similarity, but it's the best I can do for a mental image, lol! =P

mistybugs

When I first got my bearded dragon I thought the light I had was a UVB and basketing and mine had a hard time shedding at first than I got the UVB light and the second shed went great. Do you have a UVB light that still good because they only last for about a year. Also I had a chameloen and she had that same thing than ended up with a bone disease and past away. The markings on her back were the same though. Not trying to give you bad news just telling you my experience. Is your beardie more tired or any major changes in behavior or anything like that?

GizmoBeardie

Original Poster
She's not lethargic in any way shape or form, hehe, she's a very active little beardie. =) Just her shed is a little funky. The light I have currently is not total UVB, it does have slight UVB, but not enough. I am going to be getting a UVA/UVB Heat light very soon. But thanks for the input, if I see a drastic change in her behavior I will definitely post! :)

mistybugs

The best light that I found it the UVB light that looks like a fishtank floresent light bulb. That is completly UVB and than I have a basketing light also. Ever since I have had this setup I have not have problems with the shedding.

GizmoBeardie

Original Poster
You know, I was in walmart today looking at the fish tank florescent bulbs and was considering getting one. But it didnt say anything about UVB on the package, so I passed it on. It only said something about voltage and wattage... what one are you using exactly, and I will go tomorrow and get one. =)

mistybugs

The brand is reptile. It say that it is for dessert types. I went and got it at a petco that I live near. If you go to a pet store and ask what kind of UVB lights they have they can show you and look at the ones that look like fish tank florescent lights the long ones that cover the whole tank from side to side. Mine does not give off any heat but watch out because if they get to close they can still get a burn like you or me. That is a good thing you did not get the fish tank bulb because they say that those do nothing. You will need the hood to plug it into though.

GizmoBeardie

Original Poster
Ok, PERFECT, thank you SO much!!! I'm going to go to Petco as soon as I get the chance and look into that! I'm sure the UVB will help the shed along! Thank you thank you thank you! =P

mistybugs

I hope that everything goes ok with that. Good luck and let me know if that works out. Also I forget to tell you on that raw area when I took my chameloen to the vet they told me to put a very very light layer of triple antibiotic ointment on it but make sure that it is not enough for to get it on anything. I used a q-tip and put not even a pen tip size on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom