Can i use hornworms as a staple for my dragons diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittraff

Also if i did how many would my 7" dragon eat a day? I don't like using crickets anymore, but i would be okay with a hornworm with some supplemental crickets diet. (Im also feeding dandelion greens by hand and some strawberries on occasion)

The problem is my dragon wil only eat like 2-3 crickets a each feeding (usually 3 a day) and i know hes supposed to be eating alot more than that. He won't chase, he only goes after them when they are in front of his face. Hiss lighitng and temps are fine according to the information on this forum.

I bought 6 wax worms and i fed him 2 today and he gobbled them up, and chose them over crickets. Any input would be appreciated.

AmberC

Hatchling Member
Horn worms as a staple would be fairly expensive but it could absolutely be used as a staple, silk worms are really good too! You should be feeding him as much as he wants to eat in a 15 minute period twice a day at that age with veggies always being left in the tank. They often aren't interested in veggies until they are a bit older but I recommend always leaving them in the tank

Brittraff

Original Poster
AmberC":ld2x3jpv said:
Horn worms as a staple would be fairly expensive but it could absolutely be used as a staple, silk worms are really good too!

say i fed him hormworms one feeding and crickets the next with veggies left in the tank do you think that would be an okay diet?

Mariah94

Juvie Member
Actually, hornworms cannot be used as the "only" staple, they do not have everything a guy needs. He would need another feeder along with it. I would try Silkworms, they are a great staple and are similar to horns. Waxworms are like a candy bar and I would only feed them sparingly. And silks do not have to be dusted.

AmberC

Hatchling Member
She's right. I looked at beautiful dragons nutrition page and it doesn't say to feed everyday. Sorry about that! :oops:

Mariah94

Juvie Member
Brittraff":2p4jfrhe said:
My petstore doesn't have any silkworms, and i can't figure out how to order them from Canada

I cannot help you with where to order since I'm from the states, but I'm sure there has to be a place somewhere that allows you to order them. They can eat as many hornworms as they want, as long as they are getting a staple along with it. Horns are great because they are full of water and hyrate beardies really well, so expect some runny poos when you feed them.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
How long have you had him? The small amount of food eaten is concerning if he isn't going through relocation stress. He may have parasites and need a fecal done. Also, what kind of UVB do you have and what are your temps? I know this isn't your question exactly, but it could help us figure out why he only eats 3 crickets a day. Are they smaller than the space between his eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom