Can I really use Tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apz23

We are setting up our tank and preparing for our juvenile beardie. Several people have recommended tile as a substrate. We are considering this because I have some ceramic tiles laying around as well as tumbled marble tiles. Is this really a safe option? Shouldn't the floor be a bit softer?

I have also gotten mixed opinions on a red light (about 50W) for night time. Should I got with a night light or not?

BTW, this forum has been very helpful. Thanks!!!

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Tile is great, I've used it in the past. The red night light is a big no no. As long as your night temps don't drop below 65 at night the dragon will benefit from the cooler temperatures. If heat is needed at night you might consider a ceramic heat emitter.

Merry Christmas

Jeff

LQDragons

Juvie Member
tile is a very good substrant, cleans & sanitizes easily, looks good, keeps your dragons nails in check. And the red light, no, if you need heat at night(below 65*F) then use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)

your fast Jeff

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Like the posters above said, the red light is not neccessary(beardies do not sleep well with them). In fact, beardies sleep better with no light at all.

I agree tile is the best way to go .

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Tumbled marble is my favorite. It looks nice and is easy to clean in the dish washer. I have a couple 12 x 12 slate tiles in each viv under the basking light and the tumbled marble in smaller tiles around it. I've even built platforms with the 6 x 6 tumbled marble using 1 x 1 mosaic tiles and construction adhesive. They look like little beds. They ususally end up under them and not on top of them though.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
They are really simple. I didn't know what I was going to do with the tile at first, I just bought a couple boxes of different size. The little dragons make a mess all the time but the dust buster takes care of that. For daily clean ups I use baby wipes that are the pull out kind in the round container from wal mart and I pour in about a half a cup of Nolvasan solution to make Nolvasan wipes. On the cool side I don't even have tile. I buy those bar mop sized towels and lay them down the side.

This is Vyllyns bedroom

vyllynscage.jpg

This is one of the kids rooms until I build another one

topcage.jpg

I need to get more of the marble or travertine, the slate falls apart and helps make a little mess but isn't too bad if you leave it alone.

apz23

Original Poster
Thank you everyone... This forum has really been great. And the viv with the tumbled marble looks awesome. I am so going that route. I'll post pics when I get it set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom