Can I have 2 bearded dragons in same cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
First--the one I have is a male--can you sex a baby that is only 4-5" tip to tail?

Second the other on in the cage where I purchased "King" male also-- same size little different color

Will they hurt. Each other as they get older?

84905-6778221326.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Cute little guy :D . No beardies definitely should not be housed together. Especially males as beardies are territorial and will fight and injure each other or worse.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Only as very young hatchlings (if related and raised together by The Breeder), I housed Rex and Puff in the same rearing tub (100L) until they started showing competition and dominance behaviours for prime basking spots, food, the water dish, the hide , and separated them at about 6 - 7 months old, and they were both a lot happier and much more settled and thrived strongly after separating (both grew to about 700g).

I currently have my new 2 hatchlings (both siblings, both 5 weeks old, one is a boy and the other is a girl) housed together in Rex and Puff's old rearing tub (this is on the advice of the lady breeder I bought them from who has been breeding bearded dragons for over 20 years).
I've provided 2 separate high basking spots (the only real dominance issues I've seen were for the top spot when there was only high basking spot (on the first day the girl was bossing the boy , today (day 2 with us) it's the other way around.

I suspect if they are both males, it's not going to work, two same size related females will work as hatchlings, and a related same age pair (boy & girl) will work as hatchlings. They will HAVE TO BE SEPARATED when they become juveniles about 6 months old (maybe sooner).

If you house them together - I suggest trying to feed them their live insects in a separate feeding tub and feeding them separately (to ensure both get their fair share) , and watching for any violence, if there is any violence - separate immediately.

I would never house two males together. It's too risky. The only thing I would house together are two litter mate females in a very large enclosure. I wouldn't house two random females because my friend's female hates Copper's guts, and Copper is a female. So two random females may not like each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom