Can I get my male beardie to calm down when he sees my femal

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazfra

I recently bought a female beardie a week after buying Charlie, my male. He's so placid but when he got a look at her he went absolutely ballistic! Rather scary infact, although he didn't bite. I'm just wondering is there something I can do to prevent him from behaving this way. I'm not really looking to breed them, and I'd quite like to let them out together but he scares the kids when he charges around and stamps him feet.

Any tips guys?

Warren

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello Warren!

Give up the idea of letting them out to roam together during the Spring and Summer months if your not planning on breeding. As it will only take Charlie a matter of seconds to nail her. There is nothing you can do to stop his hormones from raging....this time of year. Mine will black beard and head bobb everything in sight including and not limited to their own reflection, the cat, even me. I suggest giving each of them their own time out to roam they really don't like each other anyway only tolerate each other so they can reproduce.

wazfra

Original Poster
Thanks for that Barbara, I give up on the idea of trying to keep them apart thanks to your words of wisdom . Besides, I figure it's pretty cruel on him, having her around and him being able to see her so I put her in his viv last night after his bath and he was pretty gentle, just grabbing the back of her neck to pull her from a branch. I put her in an hour before lights out and everything was fine.
So, I'll end up with eggs most likely but I'll deal with it no problem.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
wazfra":cec55 said:
Thanks for that Barbara, I give up on the idea of trying to keep them apart thanks to your words of wisdom . Besides, I figure it's pretty cruel on him, having her around and him being able to see her so I put her in his viv last night after his bath and he was pretty gentle, just grabbing the back of her neck to pull her from a branch. I put her in an hour before lights out and everything was fine.
So, I'll end up with eggs most likely but I'll deal with it no problem.

So you're going to put undo stress on your female just because you don't want to keep them apart? It's more cruel on her than it is on him. I don't see your logic. :?

You'll end up with eggs, and an overly stressed female from being housed with a male who just wants to breed with her. She's going to wind up with clutch after clutch of eggs, plus being over-bred by the male.

I suggest buying another terrarium and put her in her own housing. Your male will survive having a bit of an attitude without the female. :|

wazfra

Original Poster
No, I have a separate viv for e r. I put her in for an hour, just like I said and watched both of them together. I'd never put her through the stress and strains of his constant torturing. Although I haven't seen him torturing her in both nights that I've had her in his viv, he actually ignored her completely tonight. I don't think you should assume that I'd put either of my beardies at risk, i'd never leave them alone without supervision at all times and I don't thin k1 hour per day is excessive.

wazfra

Original Poster
In saying all that, I do see your point in it all barbara, I doubt she enjoys it and I might have been putting his feelings before hers, generally because she's more content than he is but that's all part and parcel of her being a female I guess. I take your point on board. If indeed she does produce a clutch of eggs I'll be well equipped to deal with it.

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
Personally i belive that the female does enjoy it, they have hormones too. My female gets depressed if i separate them for too long. But thats not to say that i don't give her a week long repreve every once an a wile. On the note of the female liking it i belive that the biteing of the back of her neck is a "sex spot" and accually turns her on....hence the intence wiggleing by the male. It's extreamly difficult to find any accual scientific studys on these wonderful creatures so we have to differ to the experiance of breeders. I wish that a zoologist would give us some concreate intel but for now we will all disagree on whaether or not you should cage them togther or not.

I salute you for trying as i have! But i strongly encourage that you have a place where they can both hide away from each other. My cage has 2 "cave like" places for them each to hide in and get there own peace. I also feed them seperatly so the male cant be a FAT PIG.

Well good luck in your struggles and to the nonbelivers that read my post...please no rebuttals, i don't want to argue a point. Just tossing in my two cents on the issue.

I read the post and just wanted to add something. We have 2 BDs. Apollo-male & Athena- Female.
Shortly after we brought Athena home, Apollo got to her and was on her for about 20 sec.
A few week later Athena started digging. She was pregnant. To make a long story short..Athena layed eggs 4 times over a 3 1/2 month period. She had layed 72 eggs in all. After her 3rd laying, we took her to a herp vet. Aparantly Athena was a chronic egg layer. Females have the ability to store the sperm. Some females use it all at once, some use it sparingly.
All this eggs producing, digging, agitation & laying was too much on Athena. Her calcium levels had dropped dramatically. After her 4th laying, we had Athena fixed. After her surgery, Dr. K let us look at her ovaries. She pointed out little white bumps. Athena was producing even more eggs. Dr. K said getting her fixed may have saved her life. Athena was tired and worn-out.
She has since recovered from her surgery. She has a scar on her belly. She's happy and healthy.

Just remember, We'd all like to believe that male and female beardie's can get along and be happy and love each other. Truth is nature doesn't always work that way.
20 seconds is all it took. Athena's ordeal and what she went through. The worry & concern on our part. The $750.00 it cost for the surgery + blood work + x-rays + office visits. Athena's recovery time. All that because Apollo got to her for 20 seconds.
You might think your female enjoys being around your male. But I'd bet money that she probably doesnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom