Can eggs be incubated internally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone my bearded dragon just laid a bunch of eggs for the forst time. The thing is, I wasnt prepared for the eggs and she didnt have a lay box. My lizards also Brumate in the winter, so I was not pumping up her nutrients. Long story short I have 10 eggs in a hovabator at 83 degrees and they were collapsing, so I upped the humidity to 90%. Some of them are pinkish looking and kinda translucent, others are white but collapsing but i can see the blood spot inside. anothr is larger than the rest and translucent pink, but nice and firm. Is it possible that they started developing inside of the mother befor they are laid more than ust a fw days? they look like pictures people have on here of 30 and 40 day old eggs. I have pics but i cant figure out how to post on here. any help?
aaron

gregcranston

Hatchling Member
Not sure I quite understand the questions, but bearded dragons usually lay their eggs 18-30 days after mating, unless they are storing the sperm. so I would assume there would be some devopment before they are layed. The first thing is, PROVIDE HER WITH A LAY BOX. Because she might still have some eggs in her and if she does and does not lay them, she may become egg bound and eventually die. With incubation I have found that 82-84 is ideal, but actually the humidity if much more important, and that is usally why they collapse, although some may be infertile. But to keep the humidity super stable 90-95%, I keep a sealed lid on them. I leave it on all the time for first 3 weeks, them take it off for only about 20 seconds once a week after that, to let fresh air in. Since I've done this I've had 100% hatch rate over many many clutches. Don't let it be too humid though, you don't want condensation forming on the lid or on the eggs!
You will usually see some kind of veins in them if they're fertile immediatly after they are laid, sometimes not, but definately after the 3 weeks at constant humidity (if fertile)! No need for pics for me.
Also up the volume of food, nutrients and calcium for your female, as the eggs would have leached them from her body! And if she lays back to back clutches, as they often can from just the 1 mating, then she and her eggs will need it all for the next clutch in 2-4 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom