can beardies get arthritis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
peaches is on a meds for her eye.the medicine is supposed to help the swelling go down so hopefully her eye will drain and we wont have to have it removed. its not helping her eye at all yet but i noticed she is moving ALOT better on the medicine. she want from a quiet girl who would lay in your lap all day to exploring and trying to jump on things.i am pretty sure its the medicine. she was x-rayed and has bone damage in her skull causing her eye problem. her tail was badly damaged bitten right down to the bone.theres evidence of a past bone infection and its suspected whe had mb at one time as her toes dont bend and are shaped funny. she gets funny twitches in her hind legs now and again but i havent seen them since she has been on the medicine i think its called metcam?its ussually used for dogs with arthritis. so now i am wondering with all shes been through can beardies get arthritis?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So what type of infection does Peaches have, or did the vet say? She has an infection from bone damage to her head? What caused the bone damage in her head was she bitten or did she fall & suffer an injury?
The metcam is relatively safe for reptiles as long as it is not used long term. It is used to relieve pain but not treatment for infections as it is not an antibiotic.
Reptiles can get arthritis or bone problems from previous injuries or metabolic bone disease. Are you using liquid calcium several times per week since she has had or still has metabolic bone disease? I highly recommend keeping her on liquid calcium for life, with her problems in the past.
What type of lighting are you using? Are you using UVB lighting? If so, what type & brand, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
Can you post a picture of her eye?

Tracie

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
Original Poster
she had been attacked by anouther beardie who severly damaged her tail.judging by the pattern of the bone damage its belived that she got smacked in the head during the attack.this happened while she was in recue before i got her.she has a reptisun 10.0 uvb light that is brand new and she gets powdered calcium on her crickets and catipillers she doesent much like veggies so i make "veggi rolls" with pieces of catipillers in them that she seems to like.in this picture you can see the light reflecting off the bad eye its really hard to get a good picture of it.but i do know all the blood vessels and such in that eye are dialated.they looked into her eye with a scope.you cant see it real good in this pic but her front toes curl upwards. and she was put on a antibiotic to make sure theres nothing more going on with the bone infection.she goes back in a few weeks. as long as her eye doesent start bothering her we wont have it removed.but it has been slowly growing over time i have a pic from the resue taken aug 14th and it was swollen but not as bad as this
415.jpg

410.jpg

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
Original Poster
wanted to add that its belived the bone infection is from her tail.you cant see it in the pics but she has hole like scars in her tail from the teeth and its terribly disfigured. she has problems shedding with her tail so i bought her some T-rex bio-mist with aloe and jojoba cactus that i spray on her tail. i know she wasent given antibiotics when it happened they soaked her tail in iodine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is alright, I can move the double posts. :D
That is too bad about her tail & head injury. Personally I think there is probably some infection going on in that tail area, as it looks discolored. Is it still viable tissue that you can tell? It is a possibility that it should be partially removed so she wont continue to have shedding problems with it, or there wont be infection harboring around in there somewhere to make her ill.
I can see the swelling in the eye. So the antibiotics have not taken it down any? There must be some infection causing swelling around the orbital area. Did they numb the eye area & take a swab to get it cultured for any specific type of bacteria? That could help pinpoint a bacteria & they could better prescribe a more specific type of drug more suited for that particular type of bacteria.
It is worth a try to see if something else could work before having her eye removed. At least she doesn't seem to be having any trouble with it right now.
Yeah they have the eye scopes to peer in through the lens of the eye & they can see vessels that are damaged in there.
Also, it is possible that with the injury, there is no infection at all, but it could be an abscess from the injury or built up scar tissue of some sorts, too. There is not much to do with those types of things, but an abscess could be drained if that is what it is.
Which antibiotic is she on right now?
Good that the crickets are loaded with pellets & calcium enriched too.
So she likes her caterpillar rolls?

She is is a cutie pie! :D

Tracie

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
Original Poster
her tail is still viable.the reason its discolored is she lost most of her scales on it almost skinned like. and with her eye how they explained it was when her head was injured the bone was damaged right by that eye and that with the swelling from the head injury is blocking the drainage dicts for the eye allowing excess fluid to build within the eye.thats how they explained it to me.the fluid in her eye is crystal clear theres no swelling outside the eye or on the eye lids.only a bump in the bone next to her eye. she is on baytril and the other med. before i would let her eye be taken i am planning on taking her to our old vet who is 130 miles one way for a second opinion.
and yes she LOVES her caterpillar rolls!.i wrap them in turnip greens or whatever greens i have and sometimes i sneak grated squash in(peaches has to be hand fed.she will not eat on her own)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that is superb to hear then. Have you tried using silvadene or thermazene on that tail to help heal up the raw scales?
I see, the eye duct is damaged so it cannot drain properly. Hm, I wonder if they could remove the eye duct or make a little tiny hole surrounding the area to help with drainage where the bone was damaged? That is tricky, though.
However, if that area does not get any larger, she could most likely just live with it & deal with it as long as it doesn't cause her any pain or distress.
I do think a second opinion would be good before making any final decisions. If she can see out of it & the eye itself is not infected there may be something that they can do. If there is infection in the bone that does need to be cleared up though. Perhaps the baytril will help with the infection.
Good that she is eating pretty well. She is a pretty girl.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom