can a 8 inch beardie eat small super worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered small super worms for my beardie as a treat for now cause we're still working on bonding. Won't have them til tomorrow so I was gonna buy a few from a pet store. Asked for small and I was told they have one size then asked how big is the dragon. I said 8 inches and was told wouldn't be safe. Not sure how big the smalls that I ordered are. Can my beardie have them? He'd probably get 5 tops every day.. For now..then maybe as a meal when he's older.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can grow to be very large and can also be difficult to digest so they aren't usually recommended until the dragons get to be adult size (around 16'' or so). For a little guy at 8'' I recommend using a softer worm which will be easier to handle/digest. Phoenix Worms and silk worms are good choices.

Since you already have the supers, just put them in a bed of superworm chow (a shoebox sized tupperware should do well). The chow can be purchased from most bug distributors or can be made at home from bran/oats (I don't have a recipe on hand). If you put some greens on top of the chow occasionally that will give them some moisture/hydration. They'll just kind of do their thing and thrive so they should be ready when your dragon is an adult. I've keep my original superworm order alive for nearly a year that way.

kissrocks4ever

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1klv9xzf said:
They can grow to be very large and can also be difficult to digest so they aren't usually recommended until the dragons get to be adult size (around 16'' or so). For a little guy at 8'' I recommend using a softer worm which will be easier to handle/digest. Phoenix Worms and silk worms are good choices.

Since you already have the supers, just put them in a bed of superworm chow (a shoebox sized tupperware should do well). The chow can be purchased from most bug distributors or can be made at home from bran/oats (I don't have a recipe on hand). If you put some greens on top of the chow occasionally that will give them some moisture/hydration. They'll just kind of do their thing and thrive so they should be ready when your dragon is an adult. I've keep my original superworm order alive for nearly a year that way.

Thx. I looked for phoenix worms. Expensive. Same for silk worms. Plan b treats for the frogs then.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Small supers are probably too big but medium mealie worms will be a ok size. I feed mealies to my 7.5 inch baby with no problem, only as treats and only a few at a time.

kissrocks4ever

Original Poster
Gail":u8zboq2c said:
Small supers are probably too big but medium mealie worms will be a ok size. I feed mealies to my 7.5 inch baby with no problem, only as treats and only a few at a time.

I was gonna get mealworms but I found lots of people say they are bad. One even said their dragon died from eating the worms. Idk.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yes, they can cause issues if too many are fed at once or if your temps aren't high enough for proper digestion.

Gail

BD.org Addict
What part of the tank are you taking the temperature at? The basking spot needs to be 100-110 F and the cool end should be 80-85 F. What do you have for a thermometer? The only reliable ones are either a digital with probe or a infrared temp gun.

Another option is to order small crickets or roaches in bulk. Dragons are expensive to care for, especially babies who eat a lot.

kissrocks4ever

Original Poster
Gail":3cxkbusr said:
What part of the tank are you taking the temperature at? The basking spot needs to be 100-110 F and the cool end should be 80-85 F. What do you have for a thermometer? The only reliable ones are either a digital with probe or a infrared temp gun.

Another option is to order small crickets or roaches in bulk. Dragons are expensive to care for, especially babies who eat a lot.

Ik it's off. I have a gage but I needed something for my baby frogs and read gages suck so I bought a
Zoomed repti temp digetal inferred thermometer. He has a night bulb but stupid me dropped the lamp for it and it broke. I was gonna wait til winter to order another cause he seems to be doing fine. I buy bulk crickets. Looking for something to feed as a treat when he's out. Is it OK to get mealworms with his temps?

Gail

BD.org Addict
You are probably better not using mealies, seems like you aren't really sure on temps. You can pick up 50 waxworms at petco for around $5, 2-3 a day is a ok treat.

You don't need a night bulb unless your house gets under 65F. If you do use night heat, a ceramic heat emitter is great, they are spendy but seem to last forever. I have a 40 watt for winter use, just enough to keep the cage from getting chilly but not enough to disrupt the normal night cooling.

kissrocks4ever

Original Poster
Gail":2jj1nmmv said:
You are probably better not using mealies, seems like you aren't really sure on temps. You can pick up 50 waxworms at petco for around $5, 2-3 a day is a ok treat.

You don't need a night bulb unless your house gets under 65F. If you do use night heat, a ceramic heat emitter is great, they are spendy but seem to last forever. I have a 40 watt for winter use, just enough to keep the cage from getting chilly but not enough to disrupt the normal night cooling.

Temps were at 75 b4 I turned his lights on. I have a CHE just broke the lamp. Will buy another and use the CHE. See if that helps. I wanted to avoid waxworms since they are high in fat and he's just a baby. Will watch his temps. Might use the CHE and basking bulb at same time for a few days. Get his temps right then mealworms and no supers til he's 16 inches. Thanks. :)

Edit: got the superworms today
81441-8112507430.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
When you take the temps, are you taking it on the basking spot or is it just the over all temp you are reading? You shouldn't need 2 bulbs to reach a proper basking temp.
Once you get the temps in the proper range, you might try 1-2 of the smallest supers you can find, see if he can digest them ok.
As far as the wax worms go, yes they are fatty but for a baby, a little extra fat won't hurt. Feeding 5 or less a day would be just fine.

kissrocks4ever

Original Poster
Gail":1k2pf62k said:
When you take the temps, are you taking it on the basking spot or is it just the over all temp you are reading? You shouldn't need 2 bulbs to reach a proper basking temp.
Once you get the temps in the proper range, you might try 1-2 of the smallest supers you can find, see if he can digest them ok.
As far as the wax worms go, yes they are fatty but for a baby, a little extra fat won't hurt. Feeding 5 or less a day would be just fine.

I think the prob is the basking bulb. 100 watt. I think I need 150 watt.

Gail

BD.org Addict
150 watt is quite a lot for summer use. Is there any way you can raise the basking platform a inch or two? That often if enough.

kissrocks4ever

Original Poster
Gail":1xel6h37 said:
150 watt is quite a lot for summer use. Is there any way you can raise the basking platform a inch or two? That often if enough.

He likes to bask on a rock. Don't worry it's not a heat rock. I switched some things around. Idk if he liked it. The rock was under the basking light.
81441-2037355537.jpg

Sorry his house and him are a mess. I have a hard time with the vitamin powder.. Often put too much in the bag and this time it dumped on him. Oops. That'll be cleaned tomorrow. Wong come off with paper towel and water. Have to take the carpet out and wash it.

This is what the temp was when I took the pic. My inferred thermometer said 108 under the basking lamp.
81441-4200274423.jpg

What about a hammock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom