Can’t get basking spot hot enough

siel19

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ruby
Hi there-
Total newbie at reptile owning. We just got our girl in August and she’s almost 5 months old. We just upgraded her from a 20 gallon to a 75 gallon tank and I can’t get her basking spot hot enough. I have a stick on thermometer and it’s reading 93 degrees pretty consistently (with a Flukers 150w bulb). Any and all tips would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 53

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Stick on thermometers aren't useful in providing you the temperature reading that actually matters, the basking SURFACE. You need to get a digital thermometer with probe end to measure your temperatures. Luckily, most pet stores have them pretty cheap.

Put the probe end on your basking surface, let it sit for 10 minutes or so, and then check the temperature. Adjust from there.

We can't help you adjust your temperature at all until you get an accurate method of measuring it.

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hi there-
Total newbie at reptile owning. We just got our girl in August and she’s almost 5 months old. We just upgraded her from a 20 gallon to a 75 gallon tank and I can’t get her basking spot hot enough. I have a stick on thermometer and it’s reading 93 degrees pretty consistently (with a Flukers 150w bulb). Any and all tips would be appreciated!
I second what Claudiusx said about the stick-on thermometers, your basking spot is actually much hotter than that reads. If you’d like the most accurate readings, get a digital probe thermometer for either side.

Using the wire of the probe, bring it down and rest it on the basking spot for a few hours to get the most accurate temperatures, otherwise it reads the ambient temperatures instead. That’s what I do, it’s effective.

You’ll want your basking spot to be within the 105-110 degree range since a bearded dragon’s optimal core temperature is 97 degrees which can be achieved by having a basking spot of 107.6 degrees.

Good luck 👍

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom