Calcium problem/ pictures added

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
I have two dragons with kinks in the end of thier tail. One was a female house with a monster of a male and I don't think she got what she needed and the other was a college closet rescue. I know the kink is one of the first signs of calcium issues so I have upped calcium even dusting dubias. I also know that you can give them to much calcium. So my question will thier tales straighten out after thier calcium is at a good level or should I go back to dusting only every couple days?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
You need to dust their feeders daily. I took in a rescue and I got liquid calcium from beardeddragon.co for him. She has many different calcium blends and will mix something custom depending on your needs. Do you think you can post pics of your dragons here to help people see what the problem is?

What kind of UV light are you using? What are the basking temps and how close are they able to get to their UV?

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Yes pics are definitely needed if you can get some.

So you think the kinks are definitely due to lack of calcium and not where they could have been bitten?

If both have been deprived of calcium it will probably best to get a liquid calcium instead of the powder as it is better absorbed by their body.

The UVB light is also important for them to be able to absorb the calcium.

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will post pictures tomorrow. They both came to me with the kink the female was with a male that was huge and I don't think she got enough of the dusted crickets. I bought both of them and separated them I put the female with my male for a short time to try to breed them. I did not know the kink could be caused by lack of calcium until just recently. I will be separating them this weekend my male's viv will be finished then. My male also has a slight kink and may be from a bite I don't know anything about his prior life except the pet store I got him from said he was in a college dorm closet most of his life. I had to work with him and hand feed him greens for months. He is now eating with out trouble. I feed them a variety of kale dandelion greens and different chalardes. They where all on crickets when I got them and none had had vitimins they just stared getting vitimins but have always gotten calcium. I was dusting every other day but right now I dust everyday for the two with kinks and I only dust greens for the big guy because he seems fine. They now all eat dubias and once in a great while they get crickets (I dust cricket) I give them vitimins everyday in thier greens and sometimes the insect if I notice one is not eating a lot of greens. The female is now a dubia snob and will turn her nose up at cricket so when I got low on dubias and was giving crickets ( a whole 6 days) I had to feed her with the last of the roaches. I use a repti sun 10 on the big guy ( tube) and reti glow 10 and repti glow 2 on the pair( I also had a baby that I sold to a friend I had him for only a short time I thought he was a female he came with a repti glow 2 and I refused to let him go with the 2 so I took one of my 10s and replaced it with the 2 and ordered another 10)

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This is spike
IMG_20120113_122219.jpg

This is spikes kink very small
IMG_20120113_122432.jpg

This is Lilly
IMG_20120113_122542.jpg

This is Lilly's kink much bigger
IMG_20120113_122550.jpg

And this is darango
IMG_20120113_122643.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those are not kinks from calcium deficiency, actually they appear to be minor nips....I couldn't see the 2nd dragon's tail, it's a dark picture, but I do see the little kink on the end. Cal. def. would cause deformed legs, big lumpy bumps in the tail, twisted spine [ when severe ] and misshapen jaws. That is what you look for, and the dragon's would be weak and at times wobbly. Just feed them well, keep up the cal. dusting. Sounds like you've helped them improve already. If you could post a few pics of them from above, it would show their spine + legs better,the one looks slightly hunched, but it could just be the way it's standing there.

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That makes me feel better. I was worried I know how to take care of them but they are all rescues so I was worried about past care. So should I stop dusting the dubias I was told by many on this site they don't need calcium on dubias?

The one your talking about that is my big guy He is 100% hypo 20 clear nails he is probably my most expensive but not my favorite I love all my babies but spike our first rescue has a special place in my heart. Here are some better pictures of the big guy! He is about 18 inches an 2 years old.

IMG_20120117_103800.jpg

IMG_20120117_103806.jpg

IMG_20120117_103813.jpg

IMG_20120117_103820.jpg

IMG_20120117_103839.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom