Calci-Worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlinp99

Hi!
I’m a bit confused about calci-worms. The website I buy livefood from say they’re the larvae of black soldier fly, which I’ve heard are very good feeders. But I read around on here and some say that there are two types of Calci Worms, and one is better as a treat and one as a staple.
My girl is 10 months old and about 16 inches. Is she okay to eat these and are they easily digestible?

Caitlinp99":11caa3r7 said:
Hi!
I’m a bit confused about calci-worms. The website I buy livefood from say they’re the larvae of black soldier fly, which I’ve heard are very good feeders. But I read around on here and some say that there are two types of Calci Worms, and one is better as a treat and one as a staple.
My girl is 10 months old and about 16 inches. Is she okay to eat these and are they easily digestible?

Hey Caitlinp99!
Hmm, I’ve never heard of more than one type of soldier fly....perhaps it’s a mix up on their name. Soldier fly (larva) can also be called reptiworms and caliworms. I feed my beardie Autumn on a staple diet of these. She adores them and I’m always happy with my package. The best deal I’ve found on Soldier fly (larva) is from Sympton Soldier Fly. You can get one thousand large for $22 with free shipping. That’s what I buy Tums.

I hope this helped! :D

SG

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for your reply!
I was a little confused by that too, but I think I'm gonna order some for her to try. She's not very picky when it comes to livefood haha :lol:
Thanks!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Nope, all just marketing! Any type of calci-worm, repti-worm, BSFL, Phoenix worms - all the same thing, just from different companies!

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
I’ve just ordered some. Do I need to feed them? The website says you don’t have to worry about gutloading them, but should I just put some greens in there for them to eat?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Only one species of BSF.

The "difference" is in how the breeder farms them ( from what they claim ), I'd take their claims with a grain of salt .

I don't feed mine, I do however place them in DRY bedding . Makes it easier to use them IM0. Their pupae and flies a good food for lizards too.

They are little hoodini's too .... I found a cheap and easy solution to their propensity to escape the feeding dish (which was supposed to be worm escape proof). See here for solution : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=239661&p=1837017#p1837017

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1khpatji said:
Only one species of BSF.

The "difference" is in how the breeder farms them ( from what they claim ), I'd take their claims with a grain of salt .

I don't feed mine, I do however place them in DRY bedding . Makes it easier to use them IM0. Their pupae and flies a good food for lizards too.

They are little hoodini's too .... I found a cheap and easy solution to their propensity to escape the feeding dish (which was supposed to be worm escape proof). See here for solution : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=239661&p=1837017#p1837017

Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom