Cage setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm just wanting to make sure everything looks good for our setup.
Here is our cage. It's 2ft by 1ft. Temporary while she is so little. Then dh will be building a bigger cage that will last her a lifetime.
81878-5055743740.jpg

Heat lamp on top. Basking area reads 105f with infrared temp gun. Cool side reads 79f.

UVB build mounted on inside of cage about 12 inches from floor of cage. We are using this one ...

81878-2410669639.jpg

Lights are on a timer for 15 1/2 hrs per day.

Anything else you guys need to know ?

Baby is 9 weeks old.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
That is a T8 bulb, he needs to be within 8" of it to get any benefit from it. You can raise his basking spot to that height, to make it work for him.
Also those fixtures generally come with a plastic cover, if you are using it, remove it. It will block 100% of UVB rays, rendering the light useless.

Littleleno

Original Poster
Where do you find it's a T8? I thought it was T10? Also, plastic cover is removed :) forgot to mention that as I threw it away years ago ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it looks pretty good ! :) Keep in mind that it will not last long at all and you're better off getting a larger tank from the start. There's is a LOT of confusion about bulbs, because of the numbers that go along with them. :) The Reptiglo is a 10.0 t8 bulb. It is fine at the distance you had it, 4" is much too close !! If it is 12" from the floor, then it is inly 7-8" from the basking areas so it should be back to where you had it from the start. You can burn his eyes with it at 4", so do so ASAP. There are no uvb bulbs that need to be 6" from the dragon. Eight to ten is the closest you want with a 10.0 t8 bulb.

Some people claim the Exo terra Reptiglo isn't a good bulb, I've raised many babies with these [ as well as other bulbs ] and one of the top U.S breeders uses these exclusively....Tamara from Rainbow b.d's

So go ahead and put it back where it was ASAP.

Littleleno

Original Poster
Okay, moved the light back to where I had it then! We do know the cage won't last long at at. But my dh is building a much better "castle" for her (or him). We don't like any of the tanks you can buy, and want something bigger for down the road. He should be finished with it in a month I would think. Does this cage buy us that much time? If not, we do have a 55gal aquarium we can move her into until the custom built one is finished.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Ok, now I am confused :shock: :shock:
She moved it to 8" from 12" that's 4" closer. A T8 puts it about half of what a T5 does and the light is a foot away because it is on the front of the cage, not directly over the basking area. Judging by the angle and distance between the two, I would venture to say it is more like 16" away at the position in the pic.

I have been told and read on many post on here, the same information I gave on that post.... If it is wrong, I am sorry!
I guess I need to hit the books again.

Littleleno

Original Poster
Gormagon":2ro96lfy said:
Ok, now I am confused :shock: :shock:
She moved it to 8" from 12" that's 4" closer. A T8 puts it about half of what a T5 does and the light is a foot away because it is on the front of the cage, not directly over the basking area. Judging by the angle and distance between the two, I would venture to say it is more like 16" away at the position in the pic.

I have been told and read on many post on here, the same information I gave on that post.... If it is wrong, I am sorry!
I guess I need to hit the books again.

Okay, I measured angle and it's 13 inches from the top of Spikes head to the bulb itself. I can easily move it lower if needed ?

Littleleno

Original Poster
So the packaging on the lights box says effective to 20". This is incorrect? How come the manufacturer lists this wrong?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Littleleno":17tx7bc0 said:
So the packaging on the lights box says effective to 20". This is incorrect? How come the manufacturer lists this wrong?
Because they are meant to be for tropical reptiles and amphibians.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Littleleno":338oain4 said:
Now I'm reading the reptiglow cab cause eye problems. So I probably do not want my light closer??
I switched from Reptiglo to Reptisun for that very reason!

Littleleno

Original Poster
Gormagon":3d1w9o1r said:
Littleleno":3d1w9o1r said:
Because they are meant to be for tropical reptiles and amphibians.

This is confusing to me, because on the box it states for dessert ?
81878-7488443483.jpg

I do have a reptisun. But it is over a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom