cabbage worms from the garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurent53

We are very careful not to used anything on the garden that can harm our Beardies becuase they love the squash blossoms and lettuce we grow for them. Now I have cabbage worms. As I plucked them I wondered if I could feed them to the dragons. The birds eat them, the dragons REALLY want to get to them (I saved them in a small tank with the brocccoli & Kale leaves they were on). Has anyone feed their beardies wild bugs like these.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
To be frankly honest, that would be a no no. For one, you have no idea what parasites these little buggers might have, and to what pesticides they might have been exposed to... Now if you want, you can try to raise them, and in several generations, feed those. However, here is some information about parasites in cabbage worms...
Parasites and pathogens play a significant role in the natural control of ICW. Apanteles glomeratus is a common larval parasite that occurs practically worldwide. Phryex vulgaris and Pteromalus puparum are other species of hymenopterous parasitoids that attack ICW. A granulosis virus specific to ICW attacks larvae; this virus is commonly found in Taiwan.

Not sure I would want to introduce those to my dragons. ;)
Janie.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Hello and Welcome!! I would say not to feed any wild bugs as they may carry parasites and they may have been in or near fertilizers!! Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom