C.H.E. wattage for dubia colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnsNova

After being unable to maintain proper temps for my dubia colony, I am going to begin using a ceramic heat emitter/dome fixture warm things up.
Of the several wattage/sizes available, which one is correct? I have a 27 gallon rubbermaid bin.
Thanks!

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Mine are kept in the basement and I've had troubles keeping them warm enough too.

Currently, I have a zoo-med UTH under the bin and a 100 watt CHE sitting over the top of the bin.

When I open the lid, I see a huge exodus away from the top of the egg crates, so I know they've been accumulating
up near the top, closer to the CHE's warmth.

However, be careful with a CHE -- I let mine tip down too close to the lid and after a few days came back to
find a big white spot (on a green plastic lid). When I touched it, my finger went right through the lid :roll:
so apparently it got hot enough in that one spot to degrade the plastic.

I have since cut out the area around where the CHE points and covered it with a thin sheet of metal I got at the
hardware store (about 6" bigger on all sides than the CHE's dome and held in place with aluminum tape) so that can
disperse the heat better and more safely than the plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom