Butterworms-Not what we once thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkempt1

Juvie Member
It's not shocking at all. A small minority of us in the BD community have always stated that worms of all types have too high a fat content to be considered a staple live feeder. Unfortunately many people in the community prefer to err on the side of convenience and listen to others that haven't done the research on the nutritional values of live prey. Phoenix worms are often seen as a miracle feeder, when in fact long-term they are not.

Properly gut-loaded and dusted roaches or crickets are the best feeder options.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I disagree. A variety of worms can make an excellent diet. And no one feeder should always be fed anyways.

This topic isn't about how all worms are unsuitable feeders. This is about the article in question and how there are conflicting information on Butters. Please do not deviate from that or make this a debate.

jarich

Juvie Member
Like many of these rumours, it started with someone trying to create more sales. The idea that they were high in calcium and low in fat can be traced back to an interview given by one of the original importers back in the 90s in Reptiles Magazine. You can often see his assertion that they had "twice as much calcium as other feeders" repeated all over the place, in those exact words, even listed in otherwise numerical charts. Pretty silly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom