butternut squash problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
my beardie has trouble eating butternut squash...i always hear its good for them and they love the taste etc so i give it to her because i would hope she likes it

but it doenst stick to her tongue...she will tongue the same piece 10 times then give up and go back to her greens....should i just stop feeding her the squash? dont want to seem like im teasing her with it etc lol....but i ran out of greens today and she was standing over her food bowl giving me the "wheres my darn food" look, so i went up and got her a bowl of squash and a little romaine lettuce (yea yea, i know...i didnt wanna feed it to her but thats all i had)....going to hit the store in a few minutes to get some proper greens and was going to get more squash but im wondering if i should bother?

she does eat it though when she can manage....eventually she gives up and starts using her whole head to eat instead of her tongue, and she will eat all of it that i put in there

just get tired of always feeding greens, like to give some variety

i wish they could eat lettuce or kale all the time...the smell of greens makes me sick, yuck lol...especially collard greens, i wont even buy those anymore

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
As you mentioned they do eventually learn to use their whole head so I would keep feeding the squash.

Kalyn

Spikey07

Juvie Member
How are you chopping the squash?

I grate it for mine with a cheese grater and then mix it with their collard greens. They eat it ok.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I tackle this in two different ways...

1. Feed it to him by hand - he seems to enjoy that
2. make a pile and he will eat the pieces that he can actually get his teeth on. Then throw the rest away.

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i chopped mine with a mandolin slicer and cubed them in small cubes so i could freeze it easier...and thanks ill maybe pick some more up then...wasnt sure if its normal for them to eat with their whole head or not like that

hand feeding is a no-no....my adult has a wicked bite - i tried to feed her a piece of kiwi off my finger tip and she nailed me

Spikey07

Juvie Member
hand feeding is a no-no....my adult has a wicked bite - i tried to feed her a piece of kiwi off my finger tip and she nailed me

...yes I have been bitten when trying to hand feed pieces of grape... it drew blood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom