Bunch of dead crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vianeth

Just wondering if this is normal? I ordered 1,000 crickets from an online reptile website. When they arrived, there were a huge pile of them sitting in the bottom of the box not moving. Okay, they are probably dormant like the website says. I laid them out evenly throughout their enclosure (huge plastic tub) with egg cartons, tubes and boxes. They have orange cube feed and cat food in there. I'm using paper towels as substrate. The enclosure is probably around 65-70 degrees. It's been 1 day since they've arrived and approx. 400 are still lying on the bottom of the tub motionless. Occasionally there is the cricket with a barely moving leg but could they still be dormant or could they be dead? Most of them feel pretty stiff. Many are lying on their backs and won't move when I prod them with a spoon. In this case should I contact the supplier, switch suppliers, or is there a way to revive them?

Thanks!

Kajolic

Juvie Member
Recently ordered a 1000 from a company earlier this month and the bunch have already died, and been replenished from another company closer to home. Same living conditions, ZERO die offs. I'm almost 100% sure the company has a bad batch of crickets with the virus that kills the American crickets (Acheta domesticus) and with my new company they have the cautioned (viewtopic.php?f=76&t=151023) Jamaican crickets (Gryllus assimilis) but I haven't had a single issue with die offs, or biting of my Beardie.

When received I have 150-250 dead in the egg crates, upon sorting them I found roughly 50 near death (motionless, legs twitching, or just unable to flip themselves upright from being upside-down) After sorting and placing them into their habitat I came across 100+ dead the next day, and ~50 dead day after day. I probably only had 10 solid feedings, so possibly a grant total of 300 crickets out of 1000 crickets that were active and alive enough I deemed edible for my Beardie. I will not disclose the company on an open forum, but I have sent you a PST to this regard to see what company you have used. But to me it sounds like a very similar experience to mine, so I have my hunch. If it is, a moderator said they have great customer care, but I haven't had a single e-mail response to my issue, so I'm afraid they will never have my business, or recommendation ever.

However, I would contact your supplier. Granted most DOAs are required to be reported via e-mail 1 hour after delivery, and if you were not home during the delivery, then their live guarantee is void. But most companies want you to be happy, so usually, from what I've read in reviews, they'll credit the account for the next shipment for an overcount.

[EDIT] - Wanted to add, if you have die offs are you keep your colony, if it is the virus, it will not harm your Beardie. The crickets will remain good for your Beardie to eat, as long as you're not feeding him dead crickets. I fed myself the most lively out of them all, but even those ended up dead the next day.

Vianeth

Original Poster
This morning I pulled the dead ones out, and I did count 200 dead by hand, and stopped sorting dead piles. Overall there looks to be 600-700 dead after having the batch of 1,000 for two days. Maybe they were dormant and never recovered? Maybe they had a disease? Not sure, but i'm hoping my supplier offers me a credit or refund on this.

There were a couple potato wedges in the box when it arrived, can crickets die from getting smashed up by that kind of thing? Maybe I should request a different food source when they arrive?

lundy321

if you can i would go to a local exotic store. I get mine from them 1000 for 25 no tax and no shipping and they always are well. Then you dont have to worry about death rates due to different temps from flying etc.. and you also dont have to wait. 1000 will feed my baby beardie and 2 adult water dragons for 2 weeks maybe 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom