bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
IMO, which is based solely on information from others who actually know what they're talking about, it seems like you are on a good path.

Sticking with the Reptisun for UVB and a halogen flood for heat and extra light is a proven effective way to go. Keep the MVB as a backup just in case you lose the other bulbs unexpectedly.

Now you just need to work on the proper temps and heights of the bulbs.

As mentioned if you are using the Reptisun T8 10.0 inside the cage you want about 6" distance. If the T8 has a reflective fixture, you can get farther away.

The halogen flood will need to be positioned so it gives the proper basking temps and proper warm side temps. This can be attained by adjusting height or by using a dimmer switch on the fixture.

jarich

Juvie Member
The problem with fluorescents and basking lights (both reptile branded and normal halogens alike) is that they only produce just a little UVA. Since sunlight has so much, and dragons can see it like we see colour, it's got to have some effect on them to have it be so limited. It's just a theory, but I have a sneaking suspicion that brumation, lethargy, etc is caused by, or promoted by this lack of UVA in many enclosures.

Anyway, if you have the kind of enclosure where you can add the extra bulb and it doesn't affect your cool end much, then I'd suggest keeping all three bulbs (basking, fluorescent, and MVB). The basking and MVB together and the fluorescent next to them. Will give you a nice bright, sunny enclosure with the various wavelengths represented.

firedragon2248

Original Poster
would using all three hurt her? i have a MVB and a UVB and a heat bulb. i don't know if using all three would be good. and i have a 40 gl and i think it might keep the cool side a little to warm :blob5: :blob8:

jarich

Juvie Member
Could you take a picture of your enclosure set up as it is now? Should be able to help you set it up so that it doesnt effect your cool side temps much or at all. You may just need to have the MVB bulb set further up on a stand or something so that the heat from it doesnt increase in the enclosure, but the UVA does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom