Bulb Wattage and Basking Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey guys figured i would ask my females enclosure is a good 6 feet off the floor on a stand (and on top of my BPs enclosure) a good day her basking spot is 100-105 with a 150W. Normally if the heat is on or summer time I use 60W-100W and the spot will be around 100-105 degrees now my males enclosure totally different. He is about 3-4 feet off the ground on a stand im currently having a hard time to reach 100 on his basking spot. I'm wondering would it be safer to raise his enclosure or use a higher wattage bulb. My worry is it'll be way to hot if I use a higher wattage but at the same time I currently dont have the means of raising his enclosure so I'm sorta stuck the stands are custom made (brother made them). The cool side is at least 78 degrees so it is warm but not the desired basking temp around 95-98 for my males spot with a 150W bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys figured i would ask my females enclosure is a good 6 feet off the floor on a stand (and on top of my BPs enclosure) a good day her basking spot is 100-105 with a 150W. Normally if the heat is on or summer time I use 60W-100W and the spot will be around 100-105 degrees now my males enclosure totally different. He is about 3-4 feet off the ground on a stand im currently having a hard time to reach 100 on his basking spot. I'm wondering would it be safer to raise his enclosure or use a higher wattage bulb. My worry is it'll be way to hot if I use a higher wattage but at the same time I currently dont have the means of raising his enclosure so I'm sorta stuck the stands are custom made (brother made them). The cool side is at least 78 degrees so it is warm but not the desired basking temp around 95-98 for my males spot with a 150W bulb
the 95-98 is fine -- most adult dragons like temps 95-100 so your good --- just keep an eye out for undigested bugs -- ok so the cool side is 78 and the basking temps you want surface temps not air or ambient temps and they are 95-98??

I recommend using the reptituff I think it's called it is marketed towards turtles and is a flood light it uses lower wattage and gives off equivalent heat of higher wattage but the biggest plus is they are splash proof idk if u have ever had a build break over top of ur baby but I have and it's the scariest thing and unfortunately it happens so easy not u don't have to use the reptile brand any flood light will do I do not need over 90watts usually unless it's very far from the dragon but they are worth the money and in the long run cheaper than the reptile bulbs Bec they last longer and work better also if u don't have a point and shoot temp gun invest in one it's the most accurate way to keep an eye and as long as u make sure ur baby has the ability to move up and down into or out of the heat as he or she so chooses them u can safely go up to 110 maybe even 115 but I say this very seriously that is absolutely absolutely only if u have a 40gallon breeder being the absolute smallest or larger the best size in my opinion for any bearded dragons is 4x2x2 75 gal or 120 equivalent ish depending on how long it baby's are being as the only difference between the two is mainly width and I think even the height is the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom