Building my first viv and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am building my first viv and I have a few questions.

First I don't have the space right now for the normal 48" long viv so I am going to make a 36 1/2" long by 18" wide and 18" high. My question is if the 18" high will be high enough or should I just make it 24" high?

My second question is which light fixtures are best if I put the lights on the inside of the tank?

Thank you in advance for the help!

I personally chose to go 24" height so there was room to hang lights inside as I hate the messy look of lights and wires on top. But that's just my opinion. As far as light fixtures make sure they can handle the volts and amps and heat of the bulbs you plan to use. I purchased a dual bulb spot light fixture from home cheapo for my basking and che. And a fluorescent fixture from Amazon that was rated to handle my repti-sun. May have to hang the fluorescent from small chains from the ceiling to get the right distance though. (Suggested on another forum)

The spot light was a basic $10(I think) from home depot
This is the fluorescent I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ75PW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm going against the normal recommendation and not putting one that takes up 3/4 of the length since the distance from the light to the floor is too far and almost all uvb rays will dissipate before getting there all I plan to cover is the basking area so I only need an 18" even though it's 4' wide. Here is the link with my thinking on it http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=197843
I won't be home for a few days so I can't be more specific about the spot light but I will check when I get home

SnowDog

Don't want to hijack your thread but I just finished building mine from an old entertainment center. I've got the rest of the pics in the DIY forum "Entertainment center viv". It's just under 46" long and 22" high and about 14 deep. I have a better picture of the lights in it but the one on the left is a 60w general lighting/heat bulb and the one on the right is a 125w Heat/UVB spot.

stevoluvmunchkin

Original Poster
Awesome! Thank you. I picked up all the wood, vents, and the fluorescent light fixture this past weekend. Is it ok to use any of the spotlight fixtures? Right now I have a 40 gal breeder with the ceramic fixtures for the basking bulb and night glo bulbs. I don't really remember why I was told to make sure it was a ceramic fixture though.

You want the ceramic element cause it handles the heat without issues. Plastic or metal and over heat. Most spot lights are designed to handle the excess heat generated by the bulbs. UL listed is also something to look for. Make sure what ever fixture you get can handle the watts of your bulbs

stevoluvmunchkin

Original Poster
Ah yea I figured it must have been because of something like that. Does anyone know of a place to buy colored melamine? My local stores only carry the white sheets in big sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom