Building a new Viv!

Status
Not open for further replies.

storky

Hey everyone I'm starting on building my first custom Viv and have a couple questions.

1. Is fir a safe wood for building a Viv? I wanted to use birch but my small town lumber place didn't have any.

2. Is it safe to stain the outside of the Viv? I have seen some stained on the forums and am a little skeptical to use it but love the finished results.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

As i have no idea on the fir aspect of your question, i do know its perfectly safe to stain your viv. Just make sure you get very low or no VOC stain and sealer.

storky

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer and the bump. The stain sealant should be safe from what I read on the label. I'm also only staining the outside which will help. I'm going to styrofoam and grout the inside. I found a grout sealer that is VOC free so I should be able to use it. I finished cutting the vent holes and sanding it tonight, but am gone all weekend to try and find a house for the fall. I'll post pictures when I'm done staining it on Monday!

storky

Original Poster
Hey everyone. I've started making the fake rocks but I'm still debating a digging pit. It would be right beside his basking rock. Does anyone have any suggestions?
84D8923B-F658-48BA-8321-37260FCB1D94-4801-00000405547D3B6E.jpg

storky

Original Poster
Don't know if any one is looking at these bit here's a pic of my new setup. Not quite done yet but I finished grouting it tonight
BDD20A90-2B7C-4EB4-8382-7E2339433F0E-1513-0000014CCAFD395D.jpg
I decided not to put in a digging pit and I'll be putting a wooden bridge from he middle rock to his cave. Also the ledges on the left and right side will house some live plants ! Any suggestions for anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom