Build thread - with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAIJINIJI

Hi BD forum,

I've been working on a custom viv for three months now (yes, three months) and am nearing completion. Since I gleamed a lot of hints and tips from this forum I thought I'd share my progress to date.

Initial structure
20111204125853.jpg

Bottom with space for drawers
20111205222237.jpg

Figuring out the wiring
20111209030357.jpg

Cables hidden in plastic overflow tubing (done to keep the back of the viv clean so it would sit flush against a wall)
20111211184646.jpg

Bamboo cut and fitted
20120213043441.jpg

The spot light and che were mounted on a copper bracket to a copper plate before being mounted inside the viv. This was done to dissipate the heat and reduce my paranoia
20120213043039.jpg

Glass installed at last...
vivn.jpg

I put him in the viv for a while only to see him going mental trying to eat the plastic bamboo leaves. Might have to rip them out :(

notes
-When I was sizing up the wood I checked with the local DIY shop and designed the viv around the width of the wood supplied. Since they cut them in store it minimised cuts and kept it tidy.
-there is a gap around the glass providing ventillation (currently 87cm2)
-with the spot light on there is no perceptable heat on the top of the viv indicating that the heat sink is doing its job
-When i ordered the glass i ordered it slightly small in case there were problems fitting. When I actually put them in they were about 1/2 mm to big! They close but its a tight fit ;)
-Greenery was a butchered house bamboo plastic plant from IKEA
- the little plastic tank in the first shot was what I got him in (from a friend). He was quickly rehoused in a fish tank so he could supervise the build and get him off the calci sand.

I still have a bit of work to do on it so more photos to follow..

Big thanks for all the hints and tips, both as direct replies to questions and already posted info!

G

KnobCreek

Awesome job! Love the way you used the bamboo to hide the wiring in the back. I am planning on building a second viv using an existing cabinet as well and may incorporate some ideas I just got by looking at you pics!

GAIJINIJI

Original Poster
Thanks Knobcreek. It wasnt an existing cabinet - I built it from scratch. However I wanted it to look like a cabinet so I shall take that as a compliment ;)

KnobCreek

GAIJINIJI":2a2veb2i said:
Thanks Knobcreek. It wasnt an existing cabinet - I built it from scratch. However I wanted it to look like a cabinet so I shall take that as a compliment ;)

Wow, you had me fooled...so, yes, I was complimenting you then..lol :D

GAIJINIJI

Original Poster
Zeusmybeardie":2hr8fn3t said:
Looks amazing I know who I'm coming to when I get my next beardie and need a Viv lol

Thanks! UK based? The guy that gave me the beardie has asked me to build him one too... Did I mention this has taken me three months? :shock: ;)

GAIJINIJI

Original Poster
KnobCreek":1p9p16zn said:
GAIJINIJI":1p9p16zn said:

Wow, you had me fooled...so, yes, I was complimenting you then..lol :D

Good looking wood and enough planning to get the right sizes cut by the shop (i think I still have the plans). They have a big circular saw cutting rig so I had more faith in their accuracy than my own. That combined with being a perfectionist and ample time...

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Think of it this way...

3 months = perfection

You got it right, and you took the time to get it right. Good craftsmanship that way :D

It looks awesome. I love the wood you made it out of. Very cute idea with the bamboo and all, I really do like that. It does look like a cabinet. Perfect angles and cuts like a cabinet too! I'm sure your little guy will love it

Oh my gosh he was kept in that little thing? Poor little guy. Hopefully he'll love his new BIG home :D

GAIJINIJI

Original Poster
PumpkinJelly":ls5qzzqh said:
Think of it this way...

3 months = perfection

You got it right, and you took the time to get it right. Good craftsmanship that way :D

It looks awesome. I love the wood you made it out of. Very cute idea with the bamboo and all, I really do like that. It does look like a cabinet. Perfect angles and cuts like a cabinet too! I'm sure your little guy will love it

Oh my gosh he was kept in that little thing? Poor little guy. Hopefully he'll love his new BIG home :D

He was tiny when I first got him (perhaps a week old) so it was adequate until I rehoused him in a 180 litre fish tank.

Im not complaining about the time its taken to build it! Its mainly due to being short on time with work and other projects but it has proved theraputic ;) Delighted with the look of it so far but still a little work to do yet. I know its not the natural look but my main concentration is keeping it relatively simple and thus easy to clean!

Thanks for the encouragement!

OOP nearly forgot the obligatory indifferent look of the beast himself!

20120214231956.jpg

and with his new pet...

20120219231659.jpg

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
I really do love the bamboo idea. It looks awesome.

LOL! I love the picture of your little one with the cricket on his head. He made a new friend! :D

GAIJINIJI

Original Poster
Ive made it in three sections. If I remove the large pieces I can then take out the three sections for cleaning. They are held together by 2" strips of hardboard at the back..(ill post pics). = easy cleaning! He is currently going ninja climbing up the bamboo while I am slowly introducing him to his new home.

GAIJINIJI

Original Poster
UPDATE:

I have removed the fake bamboo leaves and replaced them higher.
I have cut a piece of black lino for the substrate (easy cleaning!)
I've installed a 2 gang dimmer switch for the CHE and basking light
Installed magnetic push latches on the glass doors.

20120305023905.jpg

20120305015827.jpg

20120304235711.jpg

I also spent a bit of time postulating on how to get the glass doors to line up... fixed with a 1cm2 piece of lino under the right side of the viv which twists the frame just enough to get them lined up perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom