Brumation?

J.t94

Beardie name(s)
Lenny
Hello,
My bearded dragon, female, 1 year old. Is showing signs of brumation.
Fecal is clear, and temps are good.
However- she wakes with her lights and comes out to feed and eats happily. She hangs out for about 2 hours, and goes back to bed. She doesn’t wake again until the next morning to eat. I don’t know what to make of this ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
My bearded dragon, female, 1 year old. Is showing signs of brumation.
Fecal is clear, and temps are good.
However- she wakes with her lights and comes out to feed and eats happily. She hangs out for about 2 hours, and goes back to bed. She doesn’t wake again until the next morning to eat. I don’t know what to make of this ?
Slowing down for winter- normal-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you! I thought so, but also can’t help but worry. Does it start like this then go to brumation?
It could she may not fully go into brumation maybe sleep for a few days to a week or so - coming out to eat and bask --- I have one that has never fully brumated and did just that - I have one that is down sleeping and hasnt moved for awhile - I offer water every 2 weeks or so but he hasnt moved

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
It could she may not fully go into brumation maybe sleep for a few days to a week or so - coming out to eat and bask --- I have one that has never fully brumated and did just that - I have one that is down sleeping and hasnt moved for awhile - I offer water every 2 weeks or so but he hasnt moved
When they are sleeping a lot, should I still offer food? And do you leave the lights on while they’re brumating? @KarrieRee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When they are sleeping a lot, should I still offer food? And do you leave the lights on while they’re brumating? @KarrieRee
If the dragon is coming out to bask offer food - keep them hydrated -- if they are zonked out then dont feed them - the lights are up to you - keep them on of course if they are still basking if not you can turn them on for short periods of time during the day --

J.t94

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lenny
Hello!
My female did the above routine for about 10 weeks.
A week before Christmas she woke up. She was crazy hyper. Eating basking. Everything normal.
Just as the temperatures started to dip again in my area, she went back in her cave and is back to the same routine. Comes out with lights on, eats, hangs out for a little bit, goes back to bed.

My concern is- she had diarrhea yesterday. Now this is not abnormal for her, as a baby she had 4 parasites and was extremely sick. Ever since she is very easily over hydrated, so too much greens, too many horned worms, ect. Give her diarrhea.
So I’m wondering, with the lack of basking and maybe too much horned worms, she may have gotten an upset tummy.

But is it normal for them to slow down, wake up, slow down again?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello!
My female did the above routine for about 10 weeks.
A week before Christmas she woke up. She was crazy hyper. Eating basking. Everything normal.
Just as the temperatures started to dip again in my area, she went back in her cave and is back to the same routine. Comes out with lights on, eats, hangs out for a little bit, goes back to bed.

My concern is- she had diarrhea yesterday. Now this is not abnormal for her, as a baby she had 4 parasites and was extremely sick. Ever since she is very easily over hydrated, so too much greens, too many horned worms, ect. Give her diarrhea.
So I’m wondering, with the lack of basking and maybe too much horned worms, she may have gotten an upset tummy.

But is it normal for them to slow down, wake up, slow down again?
Yes- just watch her poops- could be a fluke

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom