Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, My Bearded Dragon beaker (1 1/2 Years old) has been being slow for the past around 3 weeks. Moving slower, staying in his hide all day I don't think he is sleeping though, every time I check on him he has his eyes open. whenever I take him out he is bright and happy and mostly just stays with me instead of running off exploring like he usually does. He is not eating, he did drink some drops of water, he is not dehydrated I checked by pinching up the skin on his back. It went right back down. He recently moved into a new 4X2X2 tank around a month and a half ago. His lighting is: 1 100watt intense basking bulb, 1 50 watt basking bulb, 1 CHE, and a reptisun 10.0 T8 18 inches away from the basking spot. His temps stay around 90-95 basking, 80 cool. He did something similar to this around the same time last year.

Thanks for your help.

Tank and a picture of beaker after I took him out.
107161-2894993425.jpg

107161-564571601.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That does sound like brumation behavior. Just keep track of his weight to make sure that stays fairly stable.

One thing that I would adjust while he is in brumation is the UVB. 18'' is well out of the effective range of a T8. At 18'' I suggest using an Arcadia T5 14% bulb like this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-14-bulb-22-5-sale/ They are out of stock in most places at the moment, but I would keep an eye out and pick one up when you can. That will provide better basking level UVB at that distance. In the meantime, your T8 could be lowered to 6-8'' from the main basking area to provide enough UVB. Since Beaker is not basking for now, it isn't urgent.

BeakerARand19

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1hsxs40x said:
That does sound like brumation behavior. Just keep track of his weight to make sure that stays fairly stable.

One thing that I would adjust while he is in brumation is the UVB. 18'' is well out of the effective range of a T8. At 18'' I suggest using an Arcadia T5 14% bulb like this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-14-bulb-22-5-sale/ They are out of stock in most places at the moment, but I would keep an eye out and pick one up when you can. That will provide better basking level UVB at that distance. In the meantime, your T8 could be lowered to 6-8'' from the main basking area to provide enough UVB. Since Beaker is not basking for now, it isn't urgent.

Sounds good, will get one when they are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom