Brumation under 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorac

Hey guys Im a first time beardie owner so I am a bit worried. I have noticed over the past few days shes gotten darker and doesnt really move. So when I got home from work today, I noticed that she had most of her color back but the bearded area was jet black. I originally got her in July and I believe she was about a month old when I got her which would put her about 5 months old.

Stats

60 Gallon 48x15.6 I dont know how tall it is
Cool side has 75watt light
Basking side has 150 Watt light and 150 Watt ceramic heater (mostly used at night)
Im using a 36" 10.0 Repisun UVB which is inside the viv
I usually fed her 10-15 crickets in the morning and when I get home from work dusting them every two days with Rep-Cal Calcium Vit D powder
Kale every two days with a sprinkle of Rep-Cal Calcium Vit D

For a size comparison

What do you guys think?

Luthien

Juvie Member
Is she still eating and going to the wash room?
Have you given her a bath?

These questions will help with an answer.

Just for verification her basking spot should be between 110-110F and the rest 75-85F

Ezzor

Definitely looks healthy. Make sure to get a vet check for anything like parasites, etc. That way if your dragon goes into its slumber it won't lose much weight.

I have one that is about 5-6 months old acting the same way. Except when I handle him his beard goes normal :roll: All his signs point to brumation, but hes just so young. I think we both have the rare case of young brumators.

Not much help other than that, and at least you're not alone in this situation. :mrgreen:

Gorac

Original Poster
She seems like shes going to the bathroom like normal, though when I was clearning after her this morning it was a bit wet. Her eating habits do fluctuate, especially in the evening when I feed her. At that point she devourers the crickets or could care less. I do give her baths, probably not often enough though. Its usually once every few weeks. I have looked into this and could never find an answer to how often they should shower.

The basking side I do have a bit of troubles with, its usually at the lower end of 100 occasionally dipping into the 90's. Ill be picking up a rheostat this coming weekend to better control that. Her cool side is barely above room temperature which I put about 80-85. The viv is upstairs so the room tends to stay warmer. If you would like pictures of her viv, I can take those once I get home from work in a few hours. Its nothing fancy, yet, but I have plans to DIY some rock bridges and other stuff.

@Ezzor Im glad im not the only one that is experiencing this. It freaked me out. I did notice that when I was handling her to take the pictures above, her jet black beard lighted a bit.

Luthien

Juvie Member
For the bathing part of things, when their hatchlings/Juveniles (6 months and younger) you should bath them every 2-3 days and mist them every day. For Adults (6 months and older) you can mist them every second day with a bath once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom