Brumation Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I see a lot of posts about brumation, I want to know if you should just let them sleep & not wake them. Should I just wake them once a week for a bath ? At that time offer them some food ? I would like to know what the best thing to do. Appreciate all of the experts advice, Thanks Terry

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If adult, they'll go down if they sense a change in seasons , from my understanding it's not essential for beardies to brumate , and it's best that they don't in their first year of life.

My beardies are both 3 years old and have never brumated.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It's changing seasons here in Maryland in the US, and Mystic has been not eating and hiding out all day, everyday. I did get him up yesterday for bath and tried to feed him. He stayed up long enough to warm up after the bath, moved to the cool side and then back to his cave. Did not eat at all.

Terry15":8bkap6c0 said:
I see a lot of posts about brumation, I want to know if you should just let them sleep & not wake them. Should I just wake them once a week for a bath ? At that time offer them some food ? I would like to know what the best thing to do. Appreciate all of the experts advice, Thanks Terry

Hi Terry. How old is your beardie? Mine is 2 and a half, and had his first brumation last year. It is a good idea to wake your beardie once a week and let him/her sit in warm, but not hot water. Make sure it covers the vent and maybe even a little of the stomach. Do not fill what you are going to bathe the beardie in as high as you usually would. You must be with your beardie and watch him/her extremely closely during the bath. You may even have to hold your beardie up so it won't get water in its nose, lungs, then drown. After or during the bath, your beardie may or may not wake up and be more alert. You can offer a little food, but not much since they do not digest when they sleep.
Hope this helped :)

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Mystic has been not eating, not doing too much at all. He was awake this past weekend, gave him a bath, he pooped the next day and I cleaned out his cage. Still really not interested in food, but he did eat some applesauce. I really need to get a scale & weigh him. I hope he will be alright, it's only fall.
83443-8560045948.jpg
He is only 10-12 months old

Terry15":1semxro5 said:
Mystic has been not eating, not doing too much at all. He was awake this past weekend, gave him a bath, he pooped the next day and I cleaned out his cage. Still really not interested in food, but he did eat some applesauce. I really need to get a scale & weigh him. I hope he will be alright, it's only fall.
83443-8560045948.jpg
He is only 10-12 months old

He should be okay, my bearded dragon was around 11 months old when he went through his first brumation. It is normal for beardies to not eat during brumation, or if they eat it is very minimal. Just make sure he stays hydrated. Glad he ate a little something. Just let him do his thing, and he should be just fine.be sure to check on him often though
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom