Brumation Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
I've read literally every piece of information about bearded dragons that exists on the internet...so, since Amber was a baby, I was familiar with brumation, and was expecting the possibility this winter. So, I didn't freak out when she started getting lethargic and sleeping all day and quit eating.

What I wasn't prepared for was how sad I would be! :( I see her just laying around, barely opening an eye now and then to make sure I'm still around, and she looks so dang pitiful! I just want to snuggle with her all evening long, but also don't want to interrupt her nappy time. She was a little perkier the other day, so I gave her a bath and offered a few supers. In the bath, she just sat...didn't swim, didn't poop, didn't try to get out after her 20 minute limit she usually has. When I offered her worms, she just kind of rolled her eyes at me as if to say, "Can you just let me get back to napping now, please?" (And wouldn't you know, she started all this while we had close to 1000 worms on hand.. :roll: )

She's just pitiful..and I love her and miss her...

I understand exactly how you feel. This is our first brumation with our beardies. Only one has started brumation. His name is Spike and he's a five year old that we rescued. My kids love to hold him and snuggle him all the time. We've even taken Spike to the kids' school for show and tell. Spike craves and loves attention. About two weeks ago, he stopped eating and became lethargic. The kids were devastated and panicked, But Spike is healthy... just very sleepy. The kids cuddle him up in a beardie burrito and carry him around as he snoozes. We miss watching him chase his crickets. We miss him swimming in his bath. We miss watching him walk around the kids' rooms and explore the house. We just miss him period! We will all be glad when we have our Spike back.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
I know what you mean, Bogie is only simi-brumating, thankfuly. Still having a loving dragon every third or forth day is not the same as daily play. :( Do they all decide to do this right after we purchase a months worth of feeders? I had over 200 crix and 500 supers and 200 PWs. I set the crix free, and lost a bench of the worms. Since he gets up a couple times a week and eats some I have to keep a small supply on hand. I hate brumation! (or maybe I'm just jealose?)

Sandy H

DonJulio

I just ordered a bunch of canned and dry food because mine is winding down. We're expecting a new baby any day though, so it's probably a good time for him to be brumating. He kept acting cold (like I've never seen before) so I ordered some higher wattage lights.

maxattack

Juvie Member
Awwww, that would stink! Buttercup is still too young, but I would probably still drag her around in her blankie with me when I'm watching the tube or something. I couldn't stand it!

gemfire1

i know how u feel..i was so worried that george was dying on me..he quit eating and drinking water, just lays around, every few days he may get up and walk around some but then just goes back to sleep, went and bought a new light and all thought maybe it was something i did,
does anyone know how long this is going to last?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sweetie is 2 1/2 yrs old. She's sleeping for a few days at a time for the 1st time, so I know what you all mean about missing our beardies when they're like this. Our 4 yr old male Lonzo is semi-brumating, he wakes up every morning, has a long soak, eats some worms and greens and basks. Once that's all done and he's listened to his morning radio station's music, he naps until the next morning. He'll still sit out in the sun if it's warm enough, so we're not completely lonely. We also have a 7 wk old baby called Isabella or Issy for short. She's been keeping us hopping, but I still miss cuddling with Sweetie and watching her swim in her bath every morning. "sigh", she's slept again all day today. Can't wait until she wakes up :D :D !

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I know how you feel Susan it is very boring in my house when they all start going into brumation.
I get lonely........I need my beardie fixes! :( :lol:
I'm having Z&W DT's right now! :(

You could always get another baby that is to young to brumate to keep you company. :wink:
:) Or just think of how happy your gonna be when Amber wakes up. :blob8: :blob8:

I was prepared this year as far as live food on hand as I had most of mine go thru brumation last year. But last year I had the same experience 1000 supers and many other live feeders......that so sucks.

kski

Hatchling Member
Yeah, we're possibly going through brumation too. Slevin is just laying around and scratching and curling up inside his hides. It's really sad because we can't really let him do it too much because he's still being treated for pinworms. So I feel really bad for the guy. I, for one, hate being woken up when I'm trying to sleep. :p

DonJulio

Well, I replaced the bulbs with higher wattage and DJ seems to be coming OUT of brumation and getting more active. I wonder if I should have just let him do his thing? Any thoughts???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom