brumation or something more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy65

I have a 4 year old, 15", ex-breeder.

He is loving his new viv! Its 2 foot wide by 4 foot long and 18 inches high. I have slate tile for flooring. My temps are about 105 RIGHT under the basking spotlight, and about 75 on the cool side. UVB bulb is a repta-sun 10. He can get about 6" close to it.

He will NOT eat his veggies, but LOVES his super worms. He just will NOT eat the veggies. I am a softy so I break down in about 2 day of just veggies and give him worms. I am going to be starting a roach bin here this month.

We had 3-4 days of nice 50* weather here a few weeks ago and he started to eat his veggies once again, but now we are back down to the 20* and 30*. He has not pooped in about a week. He moves his back legs and he does not have a bump by his tail. His belly is soft and white.
I try and give him a bath every 4-5 days. I rub his belly, he likes it but no poop
I TRY and give him baby food apple sauce. He will like a bit off a butter knife, but he HATE it. He will start to wipe his nose on the floor if I get to close to him with it and he will shake his head as if he is telling me "NO STOP IT".

Should I be worried or should I just wait for a bit to see if he snaps out of it? Is there anything else I can do for him? I know someone can help.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Andy, try raising the cool end temps a bit closer to 80.. I know that 75-80 is suggested, but perhaps it is a bit too cool for him.. What is the over night temps, just out of curiosity ?
Also instead of the applesauce, try 100% pureed pumpkin, most dragons go wild for it.
Janie.

andy65

Original Poster
zebraflavencs said:
What is the over night temps, just out of curiosity ?
/quote]

Night temps are around 70, never lower than 65. I like a warm room. He will bask every so often, but as of late he just hangs out on the cool side.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Well your temps and lights are in order, great. I guess I will have to hand this off to someone more experienced than I to get you your answers.
Janie.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Andy,

Is your UVB light a Zoomed Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb? Or, a Flukers Reptasun? There is a HUGE difference.
How old is the UVB Light?
Also, how often does he stay out when he comes out to bask? A day or several days? Be careful overfeeding him if he is not basking regularly as food will sit in his tummy.
How much does he weigh? He could be brumating, yes, it is that time of year.

Tracie

andy65

Original Poster
Drache613":ee43e said:
Hello Andy,

Is your UVB light a Zoomed Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb? Or, a Flukers Reptasun? There is a HUGE difference.
How old is the UVB Light?
Also, how often does he stay out when he comes out to bask? A day or several days? Be careful overfeeding him if he is not basking regularly as food will sit in his tummy.
How much does he weigh? He could be brumating, yes, it is that time of year.

Tracie

Yes my bulb is the Reptsun 10 tube. the uvb light will be 6 months old in April. I am thinking of getting a Mega ray.
Oh he stays out, it just he likes to be on the cool side of his viv. He will bask every day. He is on a veggies only till I see that he is eating his veggies, then its 1 or 2 worms. He weighs about 370-380 grams.

andy65

Original Poster
My guy WILL NOT TOUCH ANYTHING other than his super worms! I tried the pumpkin this mourning, he would not have ANY OF IT! He does this thing with his head, he will wipe his nose on the floor. It funny to watch. He is such a prince!

I am TRYING to hold myself back from giving him a worm! I have a soft spot for my guy. I am a bit worried that I am going to have to take him to the vet. He is acting just fine, he just will not eat his veggies and he has not pooped in about a week, but he is not eating much.

Is there ANYTHING that more that I can do? I am going to give him a bath today. I am trying to give him one everyday till he poops.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, he is stubborn, that is for sure. I would definitely get a Megaray when your Reptisun 10 needs to be replaced.
Just keep on trying. Have you put any worms in with his greens or veggies perhaps that might entice him a little bit? They can sure get picky though, can't they?
Eventually, he will eat more of them, it will just take time.
Let us know how it goes today!

Tracie

andy65

Original Poster
Oh, I tried the whole worms in with the veggies.He is WAY to good of a shot with his tongue, he will not get ONE PIECE of veggies and all worm!

I think the mega ray is going to be a b-day present from him to me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That figures! :mrgreen: He IS smart isn't he? He only has eyes for his wiggly worms then!
He will probably love the Megaray, too. Did he eat anything today?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is definitely being stubborn! You will eventually find something he likes. You have tried squash right? What about bell peppers, the red ones too?

Tracie

LJean

Extreme Poster
I can't get Oscar to eat veggies either. I have tried every variety I could. Luckily he doesn't have as good an aim as yours and he will at least accidentally eat a bite.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom