Brumation or parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Male Bearded dragon has been hiding away from the shade more and eating about half of the time. Today I gave him endive. After that he had runny stool. Was this because of a change in the diet? I have not given him endive before this. Or was this parasites? I got him tested for parasites in october so it has been about six months since the parasites came back negative. He does still bask but not as much. I was going to bring him to the vet but then where I worked someone got Covid-19 and I have to quarantine. Any help is much appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, did he brumate before this or is this behavior totally new ? Is he an adult of good size ? Can you post pics of his tank + lights ? So far nothing seems too alarming, just be sure that his heat + uvb are where they should be.

TackoFallForPres

Original Poster
AHBD":37zgg9x5 said:
Hi there, did he brumate before this or is this behavior totally new ? Is he an adult of good size ? Can you post pics of his tank + lights ? So far nothing seems too alarming, just be sure that his heat + uvb are where they should be.
Thank you for responding. Last winter he acted like this too so it definitely could just be brumation. He is 2 years old and fully grown (At least I think). Pictures https://imgur.com/a/CR9NLgB scroll down because there are multiple. Also I do not know if I already said this or not but he has as scab and for the scab I put raw honey on it in the morning and pure aloe vera gel on it later.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmm, only 2-3 pics showed up but he looked decent weight. Is the scab on his lip/chin area ? Raw honey is a good ointment for all wounds. I see your lighting is the double dome, not the best uvb in there so make sure Tacko can get very close to it, better yet if you could get a Reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube or Arcadia D3 12 -14 %.

TackoFallForPres

Original Poster
AHBD":20s1e39m said:
Hmmm, only 2-3 pics showed up but he looked decent weight. Is the scab on his lip/chin area ? Raw honey is a good ointment for all wounds. I see your lighting is the double dome, not the best uvb in there so make sure Tacko can get very close to it, better yet if you could get a Reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube or Arcadia D3 12 -14 %.
Ok thank you I will definitely do that

lisbetha

Unless he actively gets time outdoors, I wouldn't worry about parasites too much.

Signs for that can be puffy lips and thick saliva as well as the other symptoms.

Everything in moderation too - did he absolutely gorge himself on the endive? If he doesn't typically have a certain type of food, it should be brought on gradually so his guts can adjust and produce the right kind of bacterial to break it down. Runny stool can also mean the food contained too much water - like when I tried 'gourmet' canned bugs with my beardie - always a recipe for a mess.

The stool should sort itself out pretty quickly if it's diet.

With brumation, temps and reduced UV can bring it on... Keep temps even and keep up to date with your bulb replacements and it should be a relatively short stint.

TackoFallForPres

Original Poster
lisbetha":3fgwrfkk said:
Unless he actively gets time outdoors, I wouldn't worry about parasites too much.

Signs for that can be puffy lips and thick saliva as well as the other symptoms.

Everything in moderation too - did he absolutely gorge himself on the endive? If he doesn't typically have a certain type of food, it should be brought on gradually so his guts can adjust and produce the right kind of bacterial to break it down. Runny stool can also mean the food contained too much water - like when I tried 'gourmet' canned bugs with my beardie - always a recipe for a mess.

The stool should sort itself out pretty quickly if it's diet.

With brumation, temps and reduced UV can bring it on... Keep temps even and keep up to date with your bulb replacements and it should be a relatively short stint.

Ok thank you! Also he has been scratching on the glass and I don't know why but I think that it is okay because someone else on the forum said that males scratch on the glass during this time of the year.

lisbetha

In spring, they get a 'wanderlust' when they're breeding age... Glass running can also be too small an enclosure or too much glass, 1200x600x600 is ideal and if it's all glass, try to use stick on frosting or aquarium background to provide an obvious barrier. Dragons don't understand that they can't go through it hence the running.
Keep an eye on his snout - they can get open wounds, even lose teeth from excessive running/bumping. If his scales are getting damaged, it's time to change the environment before it gets to the above.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Some dragons brumate in the early to late spring while others brumate later in the year.
Is he maintaining his weight, or has he lost any weight?
I would definitely keep track of his weight, to be sure he isn't losing weight, but he is probably
just slowing down for awhile.
Is he not interested in eating very much?
Breeding season elevates their hormones & they constantly glass dance, running back &
forth, etc.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom