Brumation-- normal weight loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkratman

Hi,

George is about 18 months old. He's 18 inches long and weighs in at about 525 grams.

He's been brumating for about a month now and seems to be losing about a gram a week. Is this too much?

I take him out weekly for a soak. Yesterday, I weighed him both before and after his bath. He had lost about 2 grams in 7 days. After I bathed him, he got about a gram and half back in water weight.

Thoughts? Normal?

He's pretty fat and while he is sleeping pretty deeply, he does wake up and seems normal when I bathe him. The base of his tail is fat and his upper legs are plump.

Thanks!

John

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That amount is great, really a non issue. You really don't even consider a difference of a gram , shifting position on the scale can even reflect a gram. By the way, the only way he's getting hydrated is if he drinks....they don't actually absorb water through any other part of their body. Read here :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVgvf3gdfKAhUMGD4KHU80Bk8QFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reptilesmagazine.com%2FReptile-Health%2FThe-Vet-Report-Fluid-Therapy-in-Reptiles%2F&usg=AFQjCNH6z6ZX4dI9ILqzaQ6OA-ALoTaoIA&sig2=YSkcrDDhSefcy-8xOnozWQ&bvm=bv.113034660,d.cWw

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, that's a really tiny percentage and a healthy (almost negligible) amount to lose during brumation. When you have him out to weigh him, drop some water on his nose for him to lick up and he should be in good shape. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom