Brumation Length

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Hi. I haven't reached out in a while because Vhagara is still brumating and has been doing so since October 30th. Every once in a while I would see her in her hide (on the warm side) just sitting there looking sleepy. But for about the past month she has been sound asleep. I occasionally look in on her to see if she is still breathing and she is sound asleep. So, on December 30th it will be two months of no food or water. She has a water dish and I am keeping a humidifier in her room as I live in the desert with very dry air. Then with our heat on the humidity level was so low it would even register. I am trying to keep the humidity between 20% - 25%. That means keeping it running 24/7. Her lights are on for 12 hours and the basking surface is about 95 to 96 degrees. Then at night the basking surface temp is about 78 degrees. Should I be doing anything for her? When should I awaken her? I know I read earlier that i should not allow her to sleep longer than three months.

Smaug123

Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
Hi. I haven't reached out in a while because Vhagara is still brumating and has been doing so since October 30th. Every once in a while I would see her in her hide (on the warm side) just sitting there looking sleepy. But for about the past month she has been sound asleep. I occasionally look in on her to see if she is still breathing and she is sound asleep. So, on December 30th it will be two months of no food or water. She has a water dish and I am keeping a humidifier in her room as I live in the desert with very dry air. Then with our heat on the humidity level was so low it would even register. I am trying to keep the humidity between 20% - 25%. That means keeping it running 24/7. Her lights are on for 12 hours and the basking surface is about 95 to 96 degrees. Then at night the basking surface temp is about 78 degrees. Should I be doing anything for her? When should I awaken her? I know I read earlier that i should not allow her to sleep longer than three months.
I think it varies. It can last weeks to months I believe. Honestly, I did so much online reading and research- that's how I absorbed all my 'knowledge." I'd google any questions I had an get answers. I found it to be a great way to learn! I've discovered that each beardie parent has different ideas on caring for their babies and none of them are wrong. I.e My Smaug doesn't like the temp to go above 94° and we cuddle every evening. She's a picky eater so I only feed her what she'll eat, which is not a very popular practice. But, definitely give them proper Calcium and Vit D3.
Sounds like your basking hours and temp light are great. I think humidity levels should be 30-40%. That's the range I use anyway.
I hope this helps!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Should I be doing anything for her?
Nope. If you see her awake, you can offer her some food. It might coax her out of it a bit. But don't stress it too much.

When should I awaken her?
I wouldn't unless you see that her fat stores are obviously depleted, which would not be a good sign.

I know I read earlier that i should not allow her to sleep longer than three months.
My girl Kiki just woke up from a 4 and a half month brumation 6 days ago. She has already bulked all the way back up to pre-brumation weight.

-Brandon

Smaug123

Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
When I first started to care for Smaug she didn't poop for 12 days! Probably why she wouldn't eat. When she did some horrible thick spiky thing came out! I sent it to an Australian guy who raises beardies and he said it was sphagnum. It was in her last owners tank. I'll never put that stuff in my tanks. I put rocks, substrate carpet, 2 basking surfaces, large water bowl, and safe plastic plant shade. I'd like to make her a sand box to play and dig in but I won't put it in her habitat. I also clean her house frequently. Since her house is very visible to me I clean up poop when I see it. In fact, she'll move away from it until I clean it up, cheeky thing 😆

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The 3 month limit for brumation was never supposed to be a rule. I mentioned that my guys usually sleep about that long and if not, then I wake them. Someone on the forum took that as meaning don't let them sleep longer than that. So people heard or read something, just like they used to say never feed beardies mealworms . They can be part of the diet in some amount but shouldn't be a staple.

Brumation will vary for dragons for sure but my own preference for my old guys is to wake them by the 3 month stage since more can go wrong with the older ones. Even with waking them up you can check on them and if they just want to go back to sleep for a bit they can.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
My beardie came out of brumation about a week ago. But when she would come out, I gave her food so she can slowly get out of brumation. I agree with others, it does vary mine slept for three months and have been trying to keep her up for about two weeks before she actually woke up.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My guys are all different. Ruby goes down hard and wakes up in a snap for instance, but Zen slows down and naps a ton but never seeks a hide or even avoids the lights, but he is much slower to come out of it. I just let them do as they please. (For the record I offer Zen a hide, he hates them. If I put him in he is back out in a flash)

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
My beardie came out of brumation about a week ago. But when she would come out, I gave her food so she can slowly get out of brumation. I agree with others, it does vary mine slept for three months and have been trying to keep her up for about two weeks before she actually woke up.
Is she a zero? Beautiful!

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom