brumation in may?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible? I know its been a while since I last posted, so for an update, Zeus has been much better. Eating regular, pooping regular and finally behaving himself. However the last week and a half he's been very lethargic, always sleeping at the bottom of his tank where its cool, not eating much, and he hasnt pooped for a week. When I get him out he acts like he feels fine. I felt his belly for any hard blockage and didnt feel any. I've been bathing him every other day and getting him out a little less (since he hasnt pooped, my luck would have him poop on my bed while i have him out >.<) So my only thought is that maybe he's confused on the season and trying to brumate. Is this possible? if so, should i discourage it, or just let him do his thing and wait for it to pass? I was hoping with summer here I could take him outside, but he's just kind of a bump on a log lol.

below are a few pictures of him from today just sitting at a window, watching everything outside. He hasnt moved since I put him there lol.

2009-05-24124709.jpg

2009-05-24124719.jpg

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I've never had a beardie brumate in this time of year. I suggest you take him to a good herp vet, one that specializes in reptiles, not just "sees them". Get a fecal done and a checkup. That's good to do once a year, in fact it's suggested to do it once a year in the fall before they do brumate because if they have parasites, they will loose a lot of weight and that's not good.

Lori

Little D

Hatchling Member
Mine is doing the exact same thing that you describe david. Started about a month ago, maybe a little more. Sleeping all the time, might come out for a tiny bit the odd day but then right back to the cool side and snoozes.

I've just figured it as brumation because other than that, he seems fine

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Where are you located, in the US or in Canada?
While I have spoken to a few people who have been in Canada that had some issues with their dragon wanting to brumate due to the inconsistent weather, I don't think it should be brumation now, in May, almost June.
If you would run over your tank setup with us, that would help.
A few reasons for lethargic behavior or excessive sleeping would be inadquate UVB exposure, hypocalcemica, improper temps, or parasites/worms.
Have you changed your UVB light lately? What type & brand are you using? Is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
What are the temps in your tank, & what type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures? A round analogue stick on, a digital probe or a temp gun?
How are the stools, are they runny & smelly?
Zeus is a nice looking dragon.

Tracie

david3urns

Original Poster
Hey Tracie! good to hear from you!
I'm located in missouri, and the weather has been above 70 for several weeks now.
Zeus is currently about 13 inches long, in a 30 gallon tank (i know its a bit small but i try to get him out as often as I can). The UV bulb is about 8 months old, and is the repti-glo 10.0 (could be incorrect, I went with what everyone here recommended, and I think that was the one, but I know I have the right light) and its a tube 18" long. He had a fecal done in feb when he was having diarrhea and showed no parasites. His basking temp is taken with a probe thermometer and has the temp around 110. his stools have been solid and somewhat smelly, but nothing too unbearable.

Not sure if you remember or not, but a few months ago you helped me with his diarrhea he was having. He has been good since then, up until the last few weeks when he's been hiding in the low temp side of his tank under his plant all day. When I get him out he acts like he feels fine tho.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
david3urns":a42b4 said:
Zeus is currently about 13 inches long, in a 30 gallon tank (i know its a bit small but i try to get him out as often as I can). The UV bulb is about 8 months old, and is the repti-glo 10.0 (could be incorrect, I went with what everyone here recommended, and I think that was the one, but I know I have the right light) and its a tube 18" long.

Hi David,

If you went with what was recommended then you have a ReptiSUN 10.0 tube. :D These bulbs need to be replaced every 5-6 months. After that time, they lose their UVB emissions quickly which can cause: lethargy, lack of appetite, poor calcium processing, and slowing of growth. I believe a replacement of the bulb would give your beardie a big lift. Great price here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html.

Have you checked Craigslist at all for a larger enclosure? Took a couple of weeks of daily checking for us, but we were able to find a 40 breeder for $40. :mrgreen:

The best,
Em

david3urns

Original Poster
Finding an enclosure isn't the real problem, having the room for one is. Right now I also have 4 leo geckos housed each in a 20L so I'm running low on space. Hopefully soon I'll be moving and will have more room.

Thanks for the heads up on the bulb I'll order a new one tonite!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
david3urns":1de3e said:
Finding an enclosure isn't the real problem, having the room for one is. Right now I also have 4 leo geckos housed each in a 20L so I'm running low on space. Hopefully soon I'll be moving and will have more room.

Ah, yes! I know this problem. My son wants a virtual menagerie of reptiles but where to put them all?! :eek:

Thanks for the heads up on the bulb I'll order a new one tonite!

Glad to help. Hope your beardie gets a good lift from the new bulb! :)

Em

Little D

Hatchling Member
My bulb is a Reptisun 10 also and it gets changed every 6 months, so I know that's not the problem.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Little D":febbf said:
My bulb is a Reptisun 10 also and it gets changed every 6 months, so I know that's not the problem.

Hi Little D,

It looks like your post was missed a bit here. Apologies.

On the forum, it's best to create your own thread if you're having an issue with your beardie. As each situation is different, it keeps the threads less confusing if they are situation specific, and most importantly, will allow us to help you in a more personal and thorough way with regard to your own individual situation. :) There are several possible reasons for a hiding beardie, and your own thread, with details about your own situation will allow us to look at things more clearly. Given that your UVB tube is replaced often, this is a good example where similar symptoms do not add up to the same solution.

I would suggest a thread in "health", "behavior" or possibly the "ER" forum if you feel your beardie is heading towards a bad way.

It would be most helpful if you could post in your thread, as many details about your beardie, his routine, and his enclosure as possible. Brumation tends to happen only in fall and winter months... is it fall where you are? ETA: Got the thread back in front of me and I see you're in Canada. :wink: I would think Brumation would not be your issue then. I think a thread of your own most definitely would help us find out what's going on with your beardie. That said, I have heard of a few people in Canada experiencing the same thing?? Perhaps someone will be able to shed some light. :)

Thanks so much!

Em

Little D

Hatchling Member
Sorry Embee, my intentions here weren't to hijack someone's thread or anything. I was just pointing out that my BD is doing the same thing as this posters was. Wasn't really looking for info. Hope it didn't come across that way

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Little D":799c9 said:
Sorry Embee, my intentions here weren't to hijack someone's thread or anything. I was just pointing out that my BD is doing the same thing as this posters was. Wasn't really looking for info. Hope it didn't come across that way

Not at all, Little D! :) Sincerely, I was mostly concerned that your beardie might be having an issue, and it wasn't being properly addressed. I'm totally for "co-misery" posts, however. :D

Hope you find some answers as to why your beardie thinks it's winter though. Being that the seasons don't suggest brumation, have you looked into any other factors that might be playing a part?

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom