Brumation? I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carterkins

For the past month or so Arnold keeps going into his little hideout and going to sleep during the day. It's colder in there so I always worry about him. I've been taking him out and putting him under his basking lamp, but am I interfering with brumation or something? I really have no idea. He never eats his greens anyway unless I put them to his mouth but he's still eating crickets. Apart from this strange behaviour he's fine & acting normal. Just a lot less active than usual. So... what's going on I wonder. :S

[EDIT]
The UVB lamp is a Repti Glo 10.0, it's about 2 months old now. The thermometer is in the middle of his tank and is at 85 degrees. He's 5 years old now roughly (we got him almost a year ago). He's a fussy eater anyway and usually has about 50 crickets a week and veg like cabbage, peppers, grapes and carrots. I have him on me now and he's just asleep. I took him out before to let him run around and he just stayed still and fell asleep. He's so inactive right now. I don't know why.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Before we decide that it is brumation, can you fill us in on the setup details, brand & type of UVB, the distance of it, how old this particular bulb is, what type of thermometer you're using, what the basking & cool side temps are, etc. The more detailed info you can share would be helpful as well as his age and food intake.

Carterkins

Original Poster
diamc":23xxa1ml said:
Before we decide that it is brumation, can you fill us in on the setup details, brand & type of UVB, the distance of it, how old this particular bulb is, what type of thermometer you're using, what the basking & cool side temps are, etc. The more detailed info you can share would be helpful as well as his age and food intake.

Updated post. :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the Repti-Glo bulb a strip fluorescent or coil/compact bulb? What is the distance of it? If the thermometer is in the middle of his tank, it sounds like it might be a stick-on type which are VERY inaccurate. What type of thermometer is it exactly? Any idea what the approximate temp is of the basking side and also the bottom of the cool side? How often have you been bathing him? Have you ever had a fecal checked for parasites?

How often have you been dusting with calcium & vitamins?

In case you haven't seen this, this is the site that we use that shows the daily staple greens in green print: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html It seems that none of the greens, etc you're feeding him are actually staple foods.

Carterkins

Original Poster
diamc":24az8cno said:
Is the Repti-Glo bulb a strip fluorescent or coil/compact bulb? What is the distance of it? If the thermometer is in the middle of his tank, it sounds like it might be a stick-on type which are VERY inaccurate. What type of thermometer is it exactly? Any idea what the approximate temp is of the basking side and also the bottom of the cool side? How often have you been bathing him? Have you ever had a fecal checked for parasites?

How often have you been dusting with calcium & vitamins?

In case you haven't seen this, this is the site that we use that shows the daily staple greens in green print: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html It seems that none of the greens, etc you're feeding him are actually staple foods.

It is a stick on thermometer. I bath him every few days and he also drinks from his water dish. Never had a fecal checked for parasites because he's seemed fine until now. I dust his crickets twice a week. I have the website seen it but he'll only eat certain things, he's been like that since we got him. The bulb is a coil but the guy in the lizard shop said it's fine. I don't know the approx. temps of either side so I'll have to get back to you when I can about that. Thanks. :S

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure you're aware that the stick-on thermometers are very inaccurate. Last wk I was helping a member here with his temps, he was using stick-on thermometers, he just purchased a digital thermometer with probe and found out that the 97 degree reading he was getting for a basking temp was actually 123 with a good thermometer, that's a 26 degree difference. He was shocked and once he made the necessary wattage adjustments, he was very happy in the change in his beardie. So, I think a big part of the reason your beardie is sleeping so much is because the temps are way off.

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube or Arcadia. Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). Dr. Frances Baines who is a member of this forum, totally agreed with the above statements about the bulbs, she has been testing UVB's for many years. If a beardie is having an issue with a UVB light, they will do anything they can to try to avoid it and that can certainly be laying on the cool side and hiding a lot to get away from it. The cool temps on that side will cause more sleeping behavior. Please remember too that pet stores will do anything they can to make a sale. We have heard a LOT about pet stores giving inaccurate info.

I'll bet once you make some changes in things and get a fecal checked for parasites (get treatment if needed), you will see a BIG change in him.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with what Diane has said. You really should make the changes she has mentioned as soon as you can.

-Brandon

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
"Please remember too that pet stores will do anything they can to make a sale. We have heard a LOT about pet stores giving inaccurate info."

Funny. I am using a reptiglo and when I went in to a pet store the owner said stick with it and didnt want to sell me the reptisun lamp. said its not a big issue. talk about honest business man!?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It actually is a big issue. I would go get the reptisun asap.

Repti-glos have been linked to many health problems, thats a big issue in my book.

-Brandon

Carterkins

Original Poster
I'll get a digital thermometer as soon as I can then. Yesterday he seemed more active, I got him out and he was walking around. Today I've had him out for a while and he seems normal. I don't know if it's because the weather is getting hotter and it's almost summer. It just seems that he's been inactive through winter. Anyway I can't really afford another UVB lamp right now but I'll do that as soon as I can too. Thanks for helping everyone.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good that you've seen a few changes in him. If you have a Walmart near you, they have the AcuRite brand digital with probe that will give you both the basking & cool side temps at the same time as well as the humidity level and it only costs about $12.00. Amazon has it too. If you'd like a link, let me know.

The UVB's are much cheaper online and you will pay at least 1/2 less than you would at a pet store. We can post some links for reasonably priced Repti-Sun 10.0 tubes and Arcadia bulbs too if you'd like.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
spikeithard":i8g6vjkx said:
"Please remember too that pet stores will do anything they can to make a sale. We have heard a LOT about pet stores giving inaccurate info."

Funny. I am using a reptiglo and when I went in to a pet store the owner said stick with it and didnt want to sell me the reptisun lamp. said its not a big issue. talk about honest business man!?
That was nice of the pet store owner but he actually should have recommended the Repti-Sun fluorescent and I just posted in your other thread to try to help you get the issues straightened out that your beardie is having now.

Carterkins

Original Poster
diamc":1vjb177a said:
Good that you've seen a few changes in him. If you have a Walmart near you, they have the AcuRite brand digital with probe that will give you both the basking & cool side temps at the same time as well as the humidity level and it only costs about $12.00. Amazon has it too. If you'd like a link, let me know.

The UVB's are much cheaper online and you will pay at least 1/2 less than you would at a pet store. We can post some links for reasonably priced Repti-Sun 10.0 tubes and Arcadia bulbs too if you'd like.

Links would be very much appreciated, bearing in mind I live in the UK. :) Once again, he looks better. He had about 15 crickets yesterday & today I'm going to try and feed him veg because won't eat it himself. But he seems better still.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you live in the UK I believe you can pick up the Arcadia 12%'s at local petstores. I'm not 100% on this though. But sorry, the only websites I know are US websites.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom