Brumation/Dehydration/Nutrition Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
So it's been SEVERAL months since I've been around, but I've got a question for all you Beardie lovers!

Brumation, it happens, he sleeps a lot and is generally inactive. I got that. My question has a couple parts. I've noticed a lot of beardie pictures where their eyes are sort of protruding and very wide and alert. It's always been on my mind, but something I've noticed about my Zero is that his eyes have never really been that way. When he was younger I'd bathe him every 2-3 days for about 10 minutes or so and he'd just soak. As he's gotten older it'd still be the same time apart, but the soaks became swims and they became 5-10 minutes in length. I was doing some research and found that "sunken eyes" could be a sign of dehydration. Now Zero's eyes aren't drastically sunken, but they aren't the bright and alert eyes I've seen in so many pictures. Also, his skin is slightly wrinkled.

Next part is nutrition. Sometimes his head twitches and I could be over thinking that part, but I do know that I don't feed him nearly enough greens. Problem is, Zero's always had eating issues, doesn't feed himself/hunt and every time I buy greens, they spoil before he finishes them so I have been a bit too lax in purchasing them.

To wrap it all up, he's probably been brumating. He naps all day long, only waking long enough to move a little bit. Now I try to feed him every day, try to bathe him on weekends (so he gets water and poops) but I've only been feeding him a few Supers every other day or so. I've read in a couple of places that disturbing a brumation cycle to feed and bathe could extend the cycle..

BASICALLY: do I try to take affirmative action against his dehydration and semi-malnutrition now or do I wait till it warms up and until after he brumates?? Total dilemma here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom