Brumation at 6 or 7 months old??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been rather concerned with my bearded dragon. I got him in March of this year when he was only around 5 inches long. The pet store guessed he was around 4 weeks old or so. If that is correct he is 6 months old now and 18 1/2 inches long. I take very good care of him and give him the best of care which leaves his behavior puzzling. A few weeks ago he started bobbing his head and getting his black beard. He jumped at his reflection and I know that was he going through his sexual maturity. But now he sleeps all day and is in his cave a lot. He goes to bed anymore around 11am and that is strange because usually he loves to eat his lunch and is playful all day. Now I can hardly get him to eat his crickets in the morning and if I feed him or bring the food to him he will eat but refuses to chase his food as normally. He is eating less and less and hasn't had a bowl movement since the Sunday. I've tried giving him a bath but as soon as he done he just goes back in his cave to sleep. Is he too young to go through brumation? I can wake him up and he lets me pick him up with no arguing. He's never been a grumpy lizard and still isn't. He's just tired. It is entering Autumn soon so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. Any advice would be great, we love him and would hate to see anything bad happen to him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there Ginger...well, it DOES sound like you take great care of him, he's grown very large for his age, and it does sound as if he's going through the slow down for right now. All dragons are diferent, but there's nothing to worry about, it's natural. I've seen it happen at different times of the year. They are made to slow their metabolism down and go through these phases with no problems. As long as he's not visibly ill, gaping, black beard with eyes closed, losing weight rapidly...he'll be fine.

gingergizmo

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. If he opens his eyes and pops his head out of his cave should I continue to offer him something to eat? I'm afraid if he's not basking but sleeping all day that his food will rot in his stomach and make him sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom