brumating first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Hi my walter is 2 years old and im sure he is starting to go into brumation. i just read the article in care sheets and everything seems to be happening according to plan.

As a nervous parent i have to rule out the possibility that this could be anything besides brumation. he has been in good health (everything wasslearned from this site). He has had a fecal a few months ago and was clear; he has no signs of parasites (poo looks good, smells normal). the only thing i can think of is im a little over do in changing his reptisun light a few months.

He is definitely slowing down and now hanging out under his hide and sleeping in the day time. like i said i read the article, i guess im just looking for confirmation lol, any tips not in the article.

ill miss my little friend ;~;

thank you

Luthien

Juvie Member
Sounds like Brumation to me :)

Don't worry too much about things, the first Brumation can be scary since they act lethargic, don't eat, don't use the bathroom (since there's nothing in them :p ), hide all day and sleep.

Everything is normal and he will wake back up and be his normal usual self again :) Make sure if he has eaten though they you get him to use the bathroom before going to sleep, don't want that sloshing around in his tummie all that time. Give him a good long bath to get him hydrated really good so you don't have to worry about that during this time.

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the reply.
im actually not sure if hes gone to the bathroom yet, ill give him a warm bath tomorrow but what do i do if no BM? should i leave salad out for him daily for the duration of the sleep?

Luthien

Juvie Member
If he doesn't go it's fine, you've given him the chance and that's all he needs.

Keep his lights and feeding normal, he might hide from the lights in a cool place to sleep and he might not eat at all during Brumation so don't worry. Keeping his lights and feeding schedule normal will help him come out of Brumation easier and quicker.

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for your help, i remember reading about this when i first got him so its not caught me off guard completely

Luthien

Juvie Member
That's good! Sometimes people don't know about it and think their little friend is sick.

No problem! Any more questions and I'll be happy to help! :)

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
couple things came to mind actually, um its about 72 degrees here, i took him out for a bath (he did very well) and he felt really cold... never gets too cold here in cali, but idk i could keep it warmer if needed. last question is; what about the whole uv light and calcium? does he not need it at all through the process? i thought he needed it to live.?

thanks again.

Luthien

Juvie Member
Some Beardies will cool down very quickly after their baths, wrap him in a towel right away. If you want to keep him out for awhile after keep him in the towel and if not back under the lights he goes :D

Yes he does need those 2 things (UVB and Calcium) to live. Even if the UVB light is on while he's brumating that will be fine, he doesn't have to be right under it to get it's rays. As for the calcium while brumating their system slows down so what calcium he gets before he goes into brumation will last him till he comes out of it. Just make sure as soon as he starts eating again that the food is dusted well with calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom