Broken UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheese

I recently got a baby bearded dragon about a week ago. I mean't go to get supplies but came home with him, which I know is irresponsible but I did do research prior as I was planning in getting one in a few months. He's currently really small and is 18 grams.

My PetSmart had no uvb for some reason so I went on amazon as soon as I got home and ordered one. The bulb came and was fine. But the hood came a few days ago, but was broken. I sent them an email and they've already sent me a replacement. However, it still hasn't shipped yet and I'm afraid it won't get here till next week... I'm really worried because the little guy is so young, I don't want to hurt him. I've been trying to take him outside to get some sunshine but it's been rainy and really cloudy... Is there anything I can do? :( He got about 20-30 minutes of sun yesterday before the rain and clouds returned. Thanks for anyone's help, I appreciate it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a bit tougher with babies but if you can keep providing outside time that should help out a lot. The natural sunlight is fantastic for them.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Greetings,
Unfortunately without bulbs or a sunny day, I'm unsure much can be done, though at this point trips outside are your best option.

Was your pet store out of every single kind of UVB bulb? There are many options, though of course some are better than others.

We will always recommend an Arcadia bulb
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-6-ho-bulb/
or a Reptistun
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8HAO

However, there are compact, coil, and mercury vapor bulbs that also put out UVB. They are not the greatest but are better than nothing, and these fit into normal dome fixtures. While not recommended long term, you could use this until the bulb you ordered arrives, assuming you purchased a tube kind.

MrCheese

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies.
I purchased the Repisun 10.0 T5 22" for his 40 gallon breeder. The Petsmart only has coil bulbs and the price for one is ridiculous for such a product. I saw one for $30-40 :/

It says it'll be cloudy/sunny-ish tomorrow and on Thursday so I'll try to bring the little guy out. I believe some UV rays still penetrate through clouds? It wasn't too cloudy yesterday and the sun would peek out once in awhile. Would it be enough? It got kind of sunny yesterday in the evening so I opened my window and closed the screen part and put him on a little bed on the window still. I guess he knew there was UVB, he clung onto the screen mesh thing and sat there for about 20-30 minutes (or more, didnt keep track). I put the heat lamp above him in case he got cold. He seemed a lot happier, though the sun went away pretty quick. If it isn't sunny tomorrow or on Thursday, I'll just go get him the coil one. They also have the solarglo but it's $50 so I probably won't get it for short term use.

He's also currently shedding so is a bit grumpy and lost a bit of his appetite. He ate a few crickets from my hand but ignored the rest of his salad and bugs.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Well it sounds like you're doing all the right things in the meantime :D

The bulb you purchased is great, as well! The coil bulbs are cheaper online, but of course no point to order them online to wait for them to arrive just in time for the UVB fixture to arrive as well :lol: And yes, "specialty stores" love to jack up the prices..

And yes, UVB can totally go through clouds still. Though not as much, you can still sunburn on a relatively cloudy day, I can attest to that, so by all means, keep safely taking him outside and let him soak up what he can

MrCheese

Original Poster
I got a pic of him on the screen from yesterday :D

Q4CaxOx.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
You'll be happy to know they never out-grow the screen clinging :lol:
Just be sure to keep a watchful eye and something VERY soft below in case they decide to be a mountaineer like my oldest and climb up to the top. I have had to stand on the couch and personally fetch her down many times in the summer, and spring is right around the corner...

MrCheese

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":2mls089k said:
You'll be happy to know they never out-grow the screen clinging :lol:
Just be sure to keep a watchful eye and something VERY soft below in case they decide to be a mountaineer like my oldest and climb up to the top. I have had to stand on the couch and personally fetch her down many times in the summer, and spring is right around the corner...

Haha luckily the window has a drawer right under it where the little guy's tank is. He went all the way up yesterday and I panicked because I couldn't find him. After 10 minutes, looked up and saw him just looking down at me like, "What are you looking for?" :lol:

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I am EXTREMELY guilty for forgetting Simon, my oldest, on the screen for almost an hour :oops:
I have a large bay window in my living room with a lip that can hold a cat bed (cat's favorite spot) and Simon would go up there and climb the screen...
Well.... she climbed the screen and we went to run some errands... completely forgot she was there. Came back an hour later and she was still on the screen, just a little higher up. Very impressive...

... Please watch your dragon closer than I did :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom