Broken tip of the tail?

desit0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Hi everyone. I’m a newbie in this forum but needed to put my mind at ease before I can call the vet tomorrow am.
So my husband was putting back our beardie in his enclosure after giving him his medication and somehow the door closed and pinched its tail.
Is there anything that we can do? I’m freaking out because it’s 8pm and there is no exotic vet around me to bring him in or to call right now. Really appreciate any help🙏🙏🙏
6189B3A6-9407-4AD0-B80B-87AA2C967B9D.jpeg

Attachments

• D603D20C-9B4B-4D05-9464-75AAF6B98ACA.jpeg
    D603D20C-9B4B-4D05-9464-75AAF6B98ACA.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 5FF04F28-D0B3-4842-AE25-F36FB6240F86.jpeg
    5FF04F28-D0B3-4842-AE25-F36FB6240F86.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 67

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone. I’m a newbie in this forum but needed to put my mind at ease before I can call the vet tomorrow am.
So my husband was putting back our beardie in his enclosure after giving him his medication and somehow the door closed and pinched its tail.
Is there anything that we can do? I’m freaking out because it’s 8pm and there is no exotic vet around me to bring him in or to call right now. Really appreciate any help🙏🙏🙏 View attachment 76061
Well it looks good color for now but you need to watch it and see if it turns black -- usually pinches will cut off circulation thus causing the tail to rot and fall off the end of it---- we do not want that blackness moving up the tail - at this point he doesnt need a vet -- we can treat it w/ out having to go to the vet as long as a infection does not start in and move up the tail -- w/ that we can treat w/ raw pasteurized honey to stop it Honey - Bacteria's Worst Enemy! | Health | Bearded Dragon .org

desit0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Well it looks good color for now but you need to watch it and see if it turns black -- usually pinches will cut off circulation thus causing the tail to rot and fall off the end of it---- we do not want that blackness moving up the tail - at this point he doesnt need a vet -- we can treat it w/ out having to go to the vet as long as a infection does not start in and move up the tail -- w/ that we can treat w/ raw pasteurized honey to stop it Honey - Bacteria's Worst Enemy! | Health | Bearded Dragon .org
KarrieRee, thank you so so much. I actually have some Raw Manuka Honey and will apply that tonight. Is one honey better than the other? How many times do you recommend us treating it with honey?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
KarrieRee, thank you so so much. I actually have some Raw Manuka Honey and will apply that tonight. Is one honey better than the other? How many times do you recommend us treating it with honey?
Wait for it to look like its dead -- see what its going to do --- it may not do anything --- Manuka honey is the best so your set I am posting some info for tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.
2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs
How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
For more info, please see the link: Bearded Dragon Tail Rot: What the Dark Tail Mean & Treatment
T Ask yourself these questions:
Was the tail recently injured?
Was a part of the tail open (eg wound/scrape/cut)
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail Rot
Post pics if you have more concerns about the tail but watch what it does first - right now you dont need the honey

desit0

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
Wait for it to look like its dead -- see what its going to do --- it may not do anything --- Manuka honey is the best so your set I am posting some info for tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.
2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs
How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
For more info, please see the link: Bearded Dragon Tail Rot: What the Dark Tail Mean & Treatment
T Ask yourself these questions:
Was the tail recently injured?
Was a part of the tail open (eg wound/scrape/cut)
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail Rot
Post pics if you have more concerns about the tail but watch what it does first - right now you dont need the honey
This is super helpful. Thanks a million! I’ll be checking on him and crossing my fingers we get the best outcome. Really appreciate it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Desi!

I emailed you back, this evening. How is the tail looking? I think he will be fine, poor thing.
This is a very common occurrence but just keep the end clean.
As suggested, using raw unpasteurized honey or antibiotic ointment is very effective. You can
use it 1-2 times daily, or as needed. It is a clean pinch but should be fine. It will likely dry out
& fall or break off.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom