Broken nail

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursejones813

Juvie Member
Hi!
Our dragon Slick is a little over a year old. My son (who is 10) had him out hanging out which he does daily. Apparently, when my son attempted to put him back in his cage, he clung to the screen (which he always does). My son said when he tried to get him off the top screen, Slick jumped onto some of his supplies next to his tank then fell onto the floor. (About a 3ft drop). When he picked him up, he noticed that his front middle claw nail on his right "hand" was gone. It's not bleeding. But you can see pink flesh. Is there anything we should do to prevent infection? My son is traumatized that his best buddy is hurt.
Thanks guys!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Poor little dude. You can do first aid similar to a cut; make sure the toe is clean, soak it in a betadine/providone iodine solution mixed with water to a weak tea color and then an antibiotic cream with no painkiller or raw honey to help it heal up. You may need to do that at bed time or it will just get walked off. Of course, you don't want any loose substrate to get in it, I'm not sure what you use.
It sounds like a clean injury, hopefully he heals right up!

nursejones813

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I thought I remembered you could use betadine, but I wasn't sure. I wasn't aware of the bacitracin. So, thank you. And no loose substrate for our guy. He's a modern lizard with slate and pergo flooring! Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom