Broken jaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptrillian

Original Poster
He's quiet today, and there was gunk in his tube when I went to feed him. I'm thinking today I'll flush some extra water down there in a few hours to keep it clean. It's tough when they're I'll during their normal brumation time! His temps are between 110-75, he seems to be hanging out in the 90s (aren't we all) so hopefully he's figuring it out for himself. His mouth was dry and gooey today, getting some KY and will also try a little honey.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good point. Did the doctor say how to keep the feeding tube clean and sanitary? I'd imagine it could become a prime site for an infection.

Reptrillian

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3pasg6yv said:
That's a good point. Did the doctor say how to keep the feeding tube clean and sanitary? I'd imagine it could become a prime site for an infection.
Just said to put a bit of water through after his food, as some will stay in the tube otherwise. I didn't want to overload his stomach, he gets 0.1cc meds, 0.5cc food formula, 0.2cc water.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like overall he is hanging in there & adjusting pretty well.
That is a good idea to flush just a bit of water through the tube, so it doesn't get clogged up.
At least he is spending a good amount of time basking too.
Definitely keep us posted on him, I hope he continues to improve.

Tracie

Reptrillian

Original Poster
I put in 0.4cc water this time, so hopefully that will clear it. I'm wishing I'd asked more about the location of the inside end of the tube, whether it's down his throat so he's kind of able to swallow and keep food in, or if it's just directly into his stomach so it's a more passive process.

He's quiet again today, but I'm wondering if that's just a defence against trauma and anxiety, it's like he's playing dead. Which is great for the feeding etc process, but not great for my nerves. He hasn't been as active as that first day, but maybe that was just due to him freaking out or exploring his new tank layout.

Here are some close up pictures for anyone interested, they were taken after I'd gently put some raw honey and KY jelly on his lips. They were gummy again, I was worried about them sticking together, but it's difficult to pry too much when I want his jaw to heal.

http://imgur.com/a/Of1iV

His nostrils look more open, and although there is still a bit of effort and crackle when he breathes, he's not opening his mouth and puffing any more. I'm taking this as a good sign, that the antibiotics are working, the inflammation from his mouth infection is going down and he's breathing more easily.

Reptrillian

Original Poster
He had his one-week check up yesterday, the vet was very impressed! He admitted that he didn't expect him to survive surgery, let alone the night, and is very proud that he's doing so well a week later!

He's lost some weight, so the vet said to feed him twice a day rather than once, he went from 57g to 50g in a week, probably because he won't sit still... The vet said his stomach can tolerate 1cc at a time.

3EUeET3.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great to hear ! I was wondering how the poor little one was doing. So far so good. !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, but he is definitely hanging in there. I hope you can get him to gain some weight back though, if he would take in enough food.
I am happy he is doing so well all things considered! Bless him. Do let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Reptrillian

Original Poster
He's got no say in how much food he's taking in, poor thing! He gets 0.5cc of Repta Boost twice a day, along with Rept Aid, and antibiotics once a day.

Had a small panic last night, his feeding tube got blocked. I left it overnight, but it was still blocked this morning. I put 0.4cc warm water in a syringe then gently 'pushed and pulled' for about 20 minutes until it finally cleared. I'm relieved, but will be keeping a close eye on him today in case anything weird happens. The vet said he can tolerate 1cc at a sitting, so I total his food and meds and make up the rest with warm water.

The vet recommended Ensure as a feeding formula, his preference was for something ready-made which would minimise the chance of blockage. I took a calculated risk and decided that more effective nutrition was a priority, so went for the Repta Boost instead, hoping I was able to mix it smooth enough. I guess I didn't last night. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy! That has got to be extremely challenging just to be sure that the tube stays cleared out.
I hope he is going to be ok, let us know how he is. You are doing great!
The important thing is that he is getting some food into him.

Tracie

Reptrillian

Original Poster
He's still perky, but his tube got blocked over the weekend, so he's booked in to see the vet this afternoon. The vet wanted him on regular Ensure, but I put him on Repta Boost instead because I felt the nutrition was more appropriate and would help healing. I worked hard to mix the powder smoothly, but it does seem to have larger particles.

I'm feeling pretty terrible, the vet warned me that his tube could get blocked on powdered formula, I'm hoping there's a straightforward way to clear it.

Reptrillian

Original Poster
The vet tried to clear the blockage, but no luck. Draco is booked in for surgery to replace the tube on Friday, but the vet gave me a tool to try at home, in the hope that I can clar the blockage before then.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, that's too bad. :( How much longer will his jaws be wired ? It seems like there should be some way to unblock it.....is the objective to try + flush the blockage in to his stomach ?

Reptrillian

Original Poster
AHBD":2d57tzg2 said:
Oh no, that's too bad. :( How much longer will his jaws be wired ? It seems like there should be some way to unblock it.....is the objective to try + flush the blockage in to his stomach ?
It will be another 4 weeks or so, unfortunately. The blockage could only be from his stomach, I flush water through after each formula feed (formula is mixed up to the consistency of whole milk, the tube is very thin), so something must have backed up. He's been on an exclusively liquid diet, via a tube through his neck directly into his stomach, for 2 weeks now, nil by mouth. Hoping I can loosen the blockage with the long flexible wire thing from the vet. He's so tiny I'm worried he won't survive a second surgery.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy... :( . I wonder if just letting it be for a couple days will help, then maybe some plain warm water. I agree with your thoughts on another surgery, he's weaker now and may not pull through. Maybe the wire will help or just a rest + then plain warm water. What is the temp. in his tank ? It should be higher than usual, maybe around 90 on the cool side, 105 on the hotter side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom