Broken basking domes and bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vianeth

So this morning I turn on the basking light and the bulb breaks in half inside the dome. Why would this happen? Here is a picture: http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/Odahia/001copy.jpg

I am left with 2 domes that don't seem to work. The first one dropped to the floor and the dimmer stopped working. The new one I bought can handle 150 watts now, but had the bulb break in half. So frustrating!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow that is strange, I've never had that happen to me.

Perhaps just a bad bulb?

-Brandon

Vianeth

Original Poster
I had a 65W flood light bulb from the store that stopped working after a week (in the 75 Watt max dome), a fancy $8 reptile basking bulb from the pet store that stopped working after two days. Then this grocery store bulb that broke after 1 day. I'm making sure to use the correct wattage for the dome i'm using. The smaller one takes 75W or less, the new one I bought uses 150W or less. The 150W dome had the bulb that broke in half, that bulb was only 40 watts.

I'm starting to wonder if plugging the dome into the wall socket next to my chair is causing the problem, because I wasnt having any problems plugging them into my surge protector.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That was actually the next question I was going to ask - are you plugging it into the wall or a surge protector.

What problems are you having with the surge protector?

-Brandon

Vianeth

Original Poster
Well I started off keeping the dome plugged into the surge protector. Out of convenience, I began to plug my UVB and basking dome into the outlet next to my chair so I didnt have to crawl behind the table every morning to plug in the lights). My Beardie's tank sits on my computer desk so I can watch him at all times; he's a hatchling.

When I did this, I noticed that the starter for my UVB fixture wasn't starting up the uvb bulb. Now every morning i have to play with it to get it to start. Also, the dome was plugged into this same outlet when the bulb broke in half.

I'm hoping after I buy a new bulb, keeping it plugged into the surge protector will fix my problem. I've gone through about 5 bulbs and 2 domes in the past month since I've owned him!

Vianeth

Original Poster
Well this is rather embarrasing. My pomeranian stepped on the power button to the surge protector and that's why I had no power to the lamps. I probably should have checked this first, before going out to the hardware store to replace the bulb. :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Vianeth":au66z3c1 said:
Well this is rather embarrasing. My pomeranian stepped on the power button to the surge protector and that's why I had no power to the lamps. I probably should have checked this first, before going out to the hardware store to replace the bulb. :)

Haha!! :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Vianeth

Original Poster
On the topic of bulbs not working, this morning the 10.0 UVB bulb wont turn on in the new fixture I bought for it two days ago. What the heck?!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the fixture for T8 bulbs? Are the prongs of the bulb connecting with the metal in the fixture?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom