Broken back with fused vertebrae and nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberC123

Original Poster
Today when I called to find out a good time to visit Sasha the covering vet came onto the phone to tell me that Sasha was doing very poorly. She said he had vomited all of his tube feeds up from yesterday this morning and she did an ultrasound to see if she could see what was going on and his abdomen was extremely distended and full of fluid.

I went to see him. God he looked awful. In just 4 days he had rapidly lost weight despite tube feeding and he was so dehydrated all of him was sunken in. His beard was pitch black and the last half of his tail was also dark.

I asked the vet what was even wrong with him because a month and a half ago he wasn't very sick at all, just a little lethargic and honestly he wasn't even tremoring until about a week ago, he was shaky when he walked but nothing like the past week. His health declined so fast and it just made no sense. She was very honest in telling me that she had no idea what was wrong but that she didn't think it was mbd and it was obviously not his broken back.

I made the choice to put him to sleep, at this point it wasn't even a choice. He was suffering so badly. I stayed while she did it and held his head and pet him while he passed. I'm completely heart broken. This entire thing has been the worst experience of my life.

The vet asked if she could do an autopsy for learning purposes. I told her she could, if it saves even one bearded dragon suffering I'm ok with it. She thinks he had cancer of some sort.

Thank you everyone for your support during all of this. I won't be getting another dragon. This was just too hard.

Amber

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry to hear about Sasha, it sounded like he was getting a bit better but I am glad you were able to be there with him. My heart goes out to you, sincerely.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry Amber, I really am and I cringe to think of how you are feeling. I was almost certain this would be the end for Sasha....a vet's office and tube feeding is so stressful and usually not the right treatment for any sick dragon. I don't think much of their treatment. A sick dragon just does not respond to tons of meds. [ the Metacam ] and the tubing. I'm so sorry that it ended this way. Maybe you will change your mind one day, a new pet in the house sometimes brings happiness and new life to a sad owner.

But you did all that you thought you could and were a very good owner right to the end. My heart really goes out to you. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost Sasha, too. I know it is so heart breaking, it is a horrible loss for you. :cry:
I never am a fan of tube feeding & tons of meds, either. It is so stressful. I wish that they could have done more diagnosis to determine cancer before putting him through all of that.
At least you got to see him there & hold him at the end, I know he was appreciate of the love you gave him. You did everything you could for him.

Tracie

AmberC123

Original Poster
He wasn't on a bunch of medications. He hadn't had metacam in a few weeks and they stopped the calcium once his blood work came back. All they were doing was trying to hydrate and feed him.

I however had a lot of guilt over the tube feeding because I know that stressing them out makes them sick and I was worried it would all just make him sicker. Regardless, I think the outcome would have been the same. Something was really wrong with him and he just got worse with everyday that passed. The only thing I could do to help him was to end it all

Skipper7

Juvie Member
You did what you thought was best for Sasha. You're the only one here who really knows what he was going through. Don't beat yourself up over it. He is in a better place.

AmberC123

Original Poster
Found out today Sasha had lymphoma. The reason the vet had never previously mentioned lymphoma is because they were two different vets. The one who was with us the day Sasha passed was a very caring and compassionate woman who told me that she didn't believe it was mbd but that it was lymphoma and she had seen it before.

She did an autopsy for free, so she could learn and I could know in the end if it was something I did or not and in general she was just really great. I'm glad it was her working that day, she cared and that meant a lot. I'm sad that it couldn't have been her all along, breaks my heart to think of all the stuff we tried with Sasha when in the end nothing mattered.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Sasha, but it's good to know at least so you have a definite answer. So sad that our pets can get these terrible diseases.

When the time is right you'll make a great owner for a new beardie if you decide to get another one.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, what mattered in the end for Sasha, was that you were there for him. :cry:
That is so sad about the lymphoma, I am so sorry.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom