Broken Arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Even half an hour a day will help....a little more if you have the time. That's good that she's eating because you can get the calcium in her that way, [ powdered crickets] but it would still be good to get liquid calcium. One of my beardies had the exact same crippling in the front legs about 14 years ago, they curled in like that. I got it stopped right away with a good bulb and natural sun. His front legs stayed that way all his life, but he lived a long happy life, was big and beautiful and even wanted to breed.

Chair76

Hatchling Member
yeah AHBD is right probly cause if she does then she cant support her upper body and just falls. the water therphy helps alot. my beardie use to have it when she was young but we caught it in time to reverse it. Just give her a bath to help recover after 1 to 2 weeks after starting recovering her w/ cal. and uv.

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I hate to have to inform everyone of this but when I left work I stopped and got her some liquid calcium planning to feed and then give her some. Unfortunately when I got home she had blood around her arms I guess my other beardie attacked her. I've contacted a vet who gave me some advice to get her thru the night and she's currently sleeping. I go tomorrow to take her to the vet but as of right now it's not looking too good. Just wanna thank everyone for the advice and support and I'm praying for the best. I'll post an update on how she's doing after the visit to the vet tomorrow. Unsure on if the worst happens if I'm even going to keep my other beardie but waiting to see what happens. I have a spare tank so the two were separated immediately. He never acted aggressive toward her before so this is a complete shock. Thanks again everyone

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
I think I haven an idea of what is going on,

In the photo I see a red splotch on her arm, now you said you think the other dragon attacked her.

I think the other dragon attacked her in the beginning and she never hurt herself falling..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, that's really sad what happened to your baby. She could still make it if given the TLC and infection doesn't set in on her wounds. She was weak from the MBD and the other dragon attacked her....I hope she does pull through.

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
There's no red in that picture and the first thing I checked for when she got hurt was bite marks and there were none. Sometimes animals attack each other when they get sick or hurt. I'd let them run around on my bed for hours not once dis either of them take a snap at each other I have videos of the male waving at her

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Cstrickland22":v9igc3sd said:
There's no red in that picture and the first thing I checked for when she got hurt was bite marks and there were none. Sometimes animals attack each other when they get sick or hurt. I'd let them run around on my bed for hours not once dis either of them take a snap at each other I have videos of the male waving at her

Ive seen wounds like this before at work, and it looks like a bite wound, Just because you cant see teeth marks does not mean she was not bitten,

Even if you dont see signs of aggression it can still be there,

Hows she doing today

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh the poor thing, that must have been awful that she couldn't even get away from the other beardie. :( Did you get the bleeding stopped ok? Did the vet tell you to bathe her in diluted Betadine and apply a triple antibiotic? Did you get her to the vet?

Beardies are solitary animals and should never be housed with another. They can turn on each other very quickly.

Can you fill us in on the type and brand of UVB you're using and what is the distance of the bulb? There are some UVB's that don't put out enough to be beneficial to them.

Please give us an update on your little girl.

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
Vets said she wasn't attacked there were no trace of bite marks but her front legs were pretty much dead. They said that I haven't had her long enough to have caused this and that she had a calcium deficiency. She was put to sleep at the vets office.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
I'm very sorry for your loss..

Can your other beardie get within 6-8 inches of his UVB? This is also a huge factor...The only reason i ask is because my little one got MBD (metabolic bone disorder) even though I was supplementing with calcium + D3. I moved his UVB down into his tank (thanks to this forum) and 3 days later he has made a complete turn around the large hump he had forming along his tail is now pretty much gone. I also ordered some liquid calcium as it is more readily absorbed by the system. I will be keeping my little one on it for the rest of his life so I know how much calcium he is getting every day.

Also a lot of UVB bulbs aren't strong enough to be beneficial to Beardies.

The most reccommended bulb on here is the Reptisun 10.0 Tube flourescent or the Acadia 12% (spellcheck?) if you live in the UK.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wanted to say how sorry I am. I know that was very sad and frustrating for you. Calcium deficiency and MBD are very common in young, fast growing dragons. It can come on very, very quickly. I hope the other one does well for you. Make sure you have a good bulb that's close enough, and 1/2 hour a day in the sun if you can do it [ careful of the heat] , even 2-3 times a week will help. If not, the proper bulb will do the trick.

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
Just wanted update everyone that the breeders are giving me a refund and have been great to deal with they also offered to give me another Beardie and watch at a reptile show in Kansas for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom